I need some real needed advice!

TherryChicken

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
del valle, tx
My birds are sick again!! My ducks were on antibiotic for 1 week and my chickens for a month, with different antibiotics. Well my vet no longer calls me back. The one duck that I know is sick has gurggling as she breathes in the heat which gets worse each day. My chickens were just sneezing off and on, but now they are having major sneezing fits! I thought it was uri, but im starting to wonder if its fungle instead? I did find a decent sized mushroom near their coop, butnever in it. I can not affored a vet bill right now and the closest vet that handles birds is 30 to 45 min away.. is there any home remedies I could try?? I needto knock this stuff out, I have ducks sitting on eggs... Please help me get this figured out and knocked out of my flock!!!!

I would like to suggest you post this over on the Duck Forum because there are more duck people there who might be able to help you out.

If it is fungal, is it in the feed? The bedding? Somewhere else in their environment? If they are in a musty environment, then perhaps cleaning that out will help.

Some folks use Oxine - but please please be very careful with it, some directions say to add citric acid, but not everyone does. Miss Lydia may be able to tell you how she uses it.

Tea tree oil is also anti fungal, but I only use it mixed into plain vinegar to clean things, not as a medicine for the ducks.

Coconut oil is said to be anti fungal. And I think just a little bit of that added to feed is not harmful.

Also, sometimes one week of antibiotics is not enough for a duck.

Do the ducks have a way of cleaning their nares? Do they have fresh swimming water, or at least a pot of fresh water they can dunk their heads in?

Its not just the ducks its my 15 chickens too. It started with them and im guessing its the soil? Im not sure, but feed is nice and clean. I just need to find a way to wipe out illness in both my chickens and ducks and the only reason it was a week was because thats all the antibiotics I had. Do I need to buy 2 more and then give it to them for 2 weeks? The ducks really need the illness wiped out due to the eggs. I do use oxine ah without the acid.

Right. Could you please post over on the Duck Forum? I think this is going to take input from several duck people.

I am thinking hard about this . . . wish I could come up with a quick solution.
hugs.gif

Are your chickens having other symptoms other than sneezing? Runny noses, swollen faces, bad smell, or nasty eyes? Have you changed anything recently in coop, like bedding ? Is there mold anywhere in coop? What antibotics are you giving them?

Neither that I know of, nothing new, unless the mold is under ground then none that I see. I dont know the names right off the top of my head, but most recent is spec-linx.. before given medication they were coughing and gurgling, but not that now, just sneezing badly. The sneezing is 3xs worse then before. Maybe I can take a video tomorrow and upload it on youtube and then post here so yall can see. There is mold/fungus where the ducks are where their houses were, but I squirted the crap out of that with oxine ah.

Back
Top Bottom