I need some suggestions on Anti-Inflammatory for geese

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
Long story - my girl - Trouble - went to the emergency University 2 plus weeks ago she is doing great now but then- I had what I could call a gander gander plus goose fight in the barn and Andy lost. Im doing as much as I can for recovery he is with Trouble in a heated stall. Iv been giving him what was left of her meloxicam to help get the inflammation down but will run out tomorrow. Is there a over the counter that is safe for a goose?

I’ve given one of my ganders 100mg of naproxen “Aleve” on 2 seperate occasions, and he’s alive.
I don’t know if that’s even a safe dosage but i was in a pickle it seemed to help him.

It isn’t a pain reliever but turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory.
Thank you I will get some I had Trouble on baby Ibuprofen when took her in and was told I shouldn't have her on it. but then they put her on prescription, Its a shame we can go get over the counter for us but not for our pets. Turmeric sounds like a good Idea to.

I’ve given one of my ganders 100mg of naproxen “Aleve” on 2 seperate occasions, and he’s alive.
I don’t know if that’s even a safe dosage but i was in a pickle it seemed to help him.

It isn’t a pain reliever but turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory.
Just thought I would give you a thank you and update. I took a 220mg tablet of naproxen and dissolved it in 5 ccs of water then have been giving it to him 1cc every 8 hours. (per weight human dose) always guess work. Thank you also on 3ccs poultry cell and niacin daily swims in warm water in the bath tub (he is a expert at pulling the plug when he has had enough. Thing finally started looking up today he is using his wings to try to get his leg back under himself. Still not standing. Fingers crossed as always cant wait till I can get him back to a heated barn with Trouble She is lonely and he is so loud... But life is always better with geese.....

Just thought I would give you a thank you and update. I took a 220mg tablet of naproxen and dissolved it in 5 ccs of water then have been giving it to him 1cc every 8 hours. (per weight human dose) always guess work. Thank you also on 3ccs poultry cell and niacin daily swims in warm water in the bath tub (he is a expert at pulling the plug when he has had enough. Thing finally started looking up today he is using his wings to try to get his leg back under himself. Still not standing. Fingers crossed as always cant wait till I can get him back to a heated barn with Trouble She is lonely and he is so loud... But life is always better with geese.....
It doesn’t have naproxen but I stumbled on this online dosage guide for other things http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

Can your gander not walk? Could it be a break or fracture?

It doesn’t have naproxen but I stumbled on this online dosage guide for other things http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

Can your gander not walk? Could it be a break or fracture?
It was a gander gander fight in the middle of the night, He got feathers torn wing bused and was unable to walk. My thought were that he got his hip twisted and bruised. Most of the swelling was in his hip and could wiggle his toes. He has a few sores on his foot also. He was using his leg to scoot for the beginning then the swelling got worse so I started the Epson baths. and your suggestions. The swelling is down and his wing has healed to the point he can use it to get himself up for a few seconds and maneuver himself around his pen.
I used up all my vet money on Trouble $800+ and really didn't get any good answer's just took her off everything I was doing and put her on anti-inflammatory. She is all healed took 3 weeks.
He could have a inline fracture but cant feel any bones out of wack.
This morning he has moved himself all over the pen He is in great spirit but still resting the leg. here is a pic. We about about 2 weeks into this right now. Last week he was holding the leg straight back

Attachments

• a 002.JPG
    a 002.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 11
It was a gander gander fight in the middle of the night, He got feathers torn wing bused and was unable to walk. My thought were that he got his hip twisted and bruised. Most of the swelling was in his hip and could wiggle his toes. He has a few sores on his foot also. He was using his leg to scoot for the beginning then the swelling got worse so I started the Epson baths. and your suggestions. The swelling is down and his wing has healed to the point he can use it to get himself up for a few seconds and maneuver himself around his pen.
I used up all my vet money on Trouble $800+ and really didn't get any good answer's just took her off everything I was doing and put her on anti-inflammatory. She is all healed took 3 weeks.
He could have a inline fracture but cant feel any bones out of wack.
This morning he has moved himself all over the pen He is in great spirit but still resting the leg. here is a pic. We about about 2 weeks into this right now. Last week he was holding the leg straight back
Poor guy! You’re doing everything you can and sometimes all you can do is give them some extra time and care, even a vet can’t do all that much.
One of my ganders suffered a hip injury from a fight he started two years ago, he was down for a few days but got up after that, it took him awhile for the soreness to go away and stop favoring it.
Because it’s a pelvic injury it will cause some lasting issues, like arthritis, which will feel especially bad in the cold.

With chronic conditions you’ll just have to baby him more than the others, extra pool time to keep his weight off his legs, separation from those he can’t stop fighting with, and anti inflammatories, meloxicam for the days he’s in more pain of get a prescription, and tart cherry extract.

Tought I would update Andy is doing better he is in the heated barn with Trouble and April still favoring his leg but using it to be the big boy he is. Way to cold to let them out since they spent so much time in the house. Thank You again for all the help. Trouble was the first one that couldn't walk she is doing great and between the 2 girls one egg a day.

Attachments

• a 003.JPG
    a 003.JPG
    635.5 KB · Views: 10
Tought I would update Andy is doing better he is in the heated barn with Trouble and April still favoring his leg but using it to be the big boy he is. Way to cold to let them out since they spent so much time in the house. Thank You again for all the help. Trouble was the first one that couldn't walk she is doing great and between the 2 girls one egg a day.
Glad to hear he’s improving!

Back
Top Bottom