I need someone to reasure me!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cornychick, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    This is my first hatch. I am on day 14. All has been going great until I woke up this morning and my bator temp had dropped to 97!!!! Ugh. Please tell me my 28 eggs are still going to hatch!!! Last night they were all still swimming around....[​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    At worst, they will probably just be a little late, so patience will be important at hatch time. I have heard much worse temp fluctuations and folks still got chicks to hatch. [​IMG]

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I agree with hinkjc. 97 is the bottom of the temperature range so they should be ok. I worry more when it goes over temperature than under. Usually it just delays hatching a little bit [​IMG]

T

4. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    You have to keep in mind that in nature, the mother hen can leave the nest at times to eat and drink. The egg temp will drop at this time. It does not mean that all eggs are going to spontaneously die.

It really depends on how long the eggs were at that temp and why your temps dropped. Keep an eye on everything and make sure your temp gets back up. You may need to expect a later hatch, but that is usually a day or maybe 2. Don't stress

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Might delay hatching, but should be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by