I need suggestions for poultry showmanship!

Mar 8, 2024
Hello everyone!
I am looking forward to showing my birds this year at the poultry show, and I've done research already but I need suggestions from you guys about everything- showing them, and getting them ready. I do have a few questions:
What product do you use for making the feathers shiny?
Can I show a really big chicken?
How do you measure a chicken's pubic bones and breast?
Do you know of any helpful resources?
Does it have to be a laying hen?
Can the roo have missing points on his comb?

Thank you!

Hello everyone!
I am looking forward to showing my birds this year at the poultry show, and I've done research already but I need suggestions from you guys about everything- showing them, and getting them ready.
If I could go back in time, I would join 4H or FFA.

Having been homeschooled as a youngster (except for the final year, spent in a public high school: 0/10 would not recommend 😝)—I had the perception that if I needed to know something then I would look it up. Why would I need to spend time in a room full of other young people who may not know much, either?
Wrong assumption. I could’ve learned a lot!

Hopefully some other folks will chip in to help.

People often use pink sheen spray
I don’t bother, good diet and a good wash are enough for my birds.
If you have great confidence in your strength and circulation to hold said bird during showmanship.
How do you measure a chicken's pubic bones and breast? How many fingers between pubic bones (the bones on either side of the vent) and feel the breast muscle on the front of the bird.
To measure body depth (on all but the smallest birds) put your pointer fingers together on the keel in front of the thighs and grasp the bird, testing how much your thumbs cross over the back (or don’t cross in big ones.)
http://www.youthexhibitionpoultry.org/

No

Yes
But it must be called a cock or a cockerel, not a “roo.”

I hate to assume, so we'll start with your stock. Did you buy SOP eggs, or stock to begin with? If not, that's where you will want to start, whether they are up to the show standards, or not.

You might want to start by attending at least 1 APA sanctioned show. This will give you more of an idea of the standards for your breed, and more about how showing is done.

https://amerpoultryassn.com/ Do some reading, but I wouldn't join until you're sure your birds are S.O.P., and you want to show them.

https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Breeding_to_the_Standard.html There are links here to photos, etc.

Once you have SOP stock, you will want the 45th. Standard Of Perfection book. The APA says they are out of stock, but Amazon has it. https://www.amazon.com/American-Poultry-Association-Standard-Perfection/dp/B0CM2Z4QFD

As to "Can I show a really big chicken?" As long as it's part of the Standard.

To register your birds for a show:
Roosters = 1 year old, or older
Cockerels = Less than a year old
Hen = 1 year old, or older
Pullet = Less than a year old
Trio = 1 cockerel or rooster and 2 pullets, or hens.

You will work with your birds from the time their young, fully hands on, so they will be used to being handled, and so you can easily perform the prep work on them for the show. They can't be flighty, or hard to handle. You will also want to train them so they're comfortable in a show cage. This is done in short spurts over time, so they get used to it.

When you get closer to being ready to show, contact me on here, and I'll be glad to share how to transport, clean, manicure, condition, etc., and what to take to the show, so they will be at optimum for the show.

I hate to assume, so we'll start with your stock. Did you buy SOP eggs, or stock to begin with? If not, that's where you will want to start, whether they are up to the show standards, or not.

You might want to start by attending at least 1 APA sanctioned show. This will give you more of an idea of the standards for your breed, and more about how showing is done.

https://amerpoultryassn.com/ Do some reading, but I wouldn't join until you're sure your birds are S.O.P., and you want to show them.

https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Breeding_to_the_Standard.html There are links here to photos, etc.

Once you have SOP stock, you will want the 45th. Standard Of Perfection book. The APA says they are out of stock, but Amazon has it. https://www.amazon.com/American-Poultry-Association-Standard-Perfection/dp/B0CM2Z4QFD

As to "Can I show a really big chicken?" As long as it's part of the Standard.

To register your birds for a show:
Roosters = 1 year old, or older
Cockerels = Less than a year old
Hen = 1 year old, or older
Pullet = Less than a year old
Trio = 1 cockerel or rooster and 2 pullets, or hens.

You will work with your birds from the time their young, fully hands on, so they will be used to being handled, and so you can easily perform the prep work on them for the show. They can't be flighty, or hard to handle. You will also want to train them so they're comfortable in a show cage. This is done in short spurts over time, so they get used to it.

When you get closer to being ready to show, contact me on here, and I'll be glad to share how to transport, clean, manicure, condition, etc., and what to take to the show, so they will be at optimum for the show.
Thank you so much for all of the informative links!
I was wondering.......... Could I get your opinion on which one of my birds to show?

1711050610615.png

1711050738430.png

Thank you again!

People often use pink sheen spray
I don’t bother, good diet and a good wash are enough for my birds.
If you have great confidence in your strength and circulation to hold said bird during showmanship.
How do you measure a chicken's pubic bones and breast? How many fingers between pubic bones (the bones on either side of the vent) and feel the breast muscle on the front of the bird.
To measure body depth (on all but the smallest birds) put your pointer fingers together on the keel in front of the thighs and grasp the bird, testing how much your thumbs cross over the back (or don’t cross in big ones.)
http://www.youthexhibitionpoultry.org/

No

Yes
But it must be called a cock or a cockerel, not a “roo.”
Thank you!!!!!
Will the judges ask you to show a certain part of the bird one at a time, or do you just go ahead and show everything?

Thank you so much for all of the informative links!
I was wondering.......... Could I get your opinion on which one of my birds to show?

View attachment 3778007

View attachment 3778011

Thank you again!
While you can use a mixed breed for showmanship I would recommend using the purebred Brahma since you can tell the judge the class and breed information. Also, she can be shown in the actual show while the mixed breed cock cannot. He is pretty, though!
Thank you!!!!!
Will the judges ask you to show a certain part of the bird one at a time, or do you just go ahead and show everything?
Everything
They might eventually ask for something specific though

While you can use a mixed breed for showmanship I would recommend using the purebred Brahma since you can tell the judge the class and breed information. Also, she can be shown in the actual show while the mixed breed cock cannot. He is pretty, though!

Everything
They might eventually ask for something specific though
Thanks for your suggestions and answers!

I am not a judge, and unless it's an exceptional bird, even judges won't judge from a picture. If it's a 4-H project, the kids will be asked to hold their birds properly to show them. If you're showing as an adult, the judges will open the cage, take out the bird, examine it, then return it to the cage. The do this with each bird.

Bathing: Get 3 totes, a plastic cup, a small toothbrush, and enough large towels to dry, and wrap them in. Put enough warmish water into each, that the chicken can sit/lay down without it totally covering their back. To the first, add a little Dawn Blue Dishwashing liquid, like for washing dishes. To the second, add about 1/2 a tsp. of vinegar. The third will be plain water. When you first put the bird in the water, it will probably go a bit berserk, but they quickly settle down, and sit down. They actually LIKE their spa time. Let the bird soak in the warmish soapy water, but don't get any soap in the eyes. Feel around it's vent, so that any pooh softens, and comes off. Use the cup to pour a little water on the back, under the wings, and up the neck, without getting it into the bird's eyes. Just before you go to put them into the vinegar rinse, use the soft toothbrush to clean any debris from their feet, their toenails, and leg scales.

Next, put it into the vinegar rinse, using the cup as you did before. It doesn't have to stay in long. Finish up by putting the bird into the plain water for the final rinse. Make sure it's rinsed well. Now, lift the bird onto a towel, set the bird down on the towel, and wrap the towel around it, sort of like a burrito. By now, the bird should be calm, and happily stay wrapped in the towel. Get new warm soapy water, and proceed to the next bird. Rinse, repeat. While they are calm, and relaxed in their towel, trim toenails, and spurs as needed.

The next step depends on how long it will be before you show them. If you're cleaning them a couple days, or more before showing, skip this step for now, and do it when you get to the show. If you're going to show them the next day, take a little Vaseline, and rub it into their comb, on their beak, on their legs, and on their toenails/spurs. Take the time to let the Vaseline warm in you hand, and make it a very thin layer, taking time to rub it in gently. You don't want it too greasy, or dirt sticking to it. You only want the little extra sheen, and suppleness that it lends.

Things to take to the show. Bottled water, soft toothbrush, lots of wipes, Vaseline, plastic cup.

I am not a judge, and unless it's an exceptional bird, even judges won't judge from a picture. If it's a 4-H project, the kids will be asked to hold their birds properly to show them. If you're showing as an adult, the judges will open the cage, take out the bird, examine it, then return it to the cage. The do this with each bird.

Bathing: Get 3 totes, a plastic cup, a small toothbrush, and enough large towels to dry, and wrap them in. Put enough warmish water into each, that the chicken can sit/lay down without it totally covering their back. To the first, add a little Dawn Blue Dishwashing liquid, like for washing dishes. To the second, add about 1/2 a tsp. of vinegar. The third will be plain water. When you first put the bird in the water, it will probably go a bit berserk, but they quickly settle down, and sit down. They actually LIKE their spa time. Let the bird soak in the warmish soapy water, but don't get any soap in the eyes. Feel around it's vent, so that any pooh softens, and comes off. Use the cup to pour a little water on the back, under the wings, and up the neck, without getting it into the bird's eyes. Just before you go to put them into the vinegar rinse, use the soft toothbrush to clean any debris from their feet, their toenails, and leg scales.

Next, put it into the vinegar rinse, using the cup as you did before. It doesn't have to stay in long. Finish up by putting the bird into the plain water for the final rinse. Make sure it's rinsed well. Now, lift the bird onto a towel, set the bird down on the towel, and wrap the towel around it, sort of like a burrito. By now, the bird should be calm, and happily stay wrapped in the towel. Get new warm soapy water, and proceed to the next bird. Rinse, repeat. While they are calm, and relaxed in their towel, trim toenails, and spurs as needed.

The next step depends on how long it will be before you show them. If you're cleaning them a couple days, or more before showing, skip this step for now, and do it when you get to the show. If you're going to show them the next day, take a little Vaseline, and rub it into their comb, on their beak, on their legs, and on their toenails/spurs. Take the time to let the Vaseline warm in you hand, and make it a very thin layer, taking time to rub it in gently. You don't want it too greasy, or dirt sticking to it. You only want the little extra sheen, and suppleness that it lends.

Things to take to the show. Bottled water, soft toothbrush, lots of wipes, Vaseline, plastic cup.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's very useful info! Am I allowed to wash them at the show, since you mentioned to bring water and a toothbrush there?

Back
Top Bottom