I need suggestions for poultry showmanship!

No, normally you may not wash them there, nor do you want to. They won't have warmish water, and spa time is to be a comfortable experience for the bird. I forgot to mention, you take small binder clips, 2 per bird, and solo cups, at least 2 per cage, and pine shavings.

Back to the bottles of water. Sometimes the shows don't have water available for them, so you have to provide your own. You use 2 solo cups, per bird. One for feed, and one for water, then secure them to the cage with the binder clips. You will make sure their water is topped off, before you leave for the night, then again in the morning for the judging. The second reason you want a bit of water, is so you can clean inside their toenails if they step in the pooh. First, put in fresh shavings, then you dip the soft toothbrush into a cup of water, and do a quickie clean. The baby wipes will clean mostly anything else that gets soiled. It's pretty easy peasy, because the birds are already clean. If the show does have water, some of the exhibitors will be lined up to use it for watering their birds. You don't want to hold up the line. To me, has always been easier to carry my own.

Again, go to a show, or two so you can learn, before you attempt showing.

No, normally you may not wash them there, nor do you want to. They won't have warmish water, and spa time is to be a comfortable experience for the bird. I forgot to mention, you take small binder clips, 2 per bird, and solo cups, at least 2 per cage, and pine shavings.

Back to the bottles of water. Sometimes the shows don't have water available for them, so you have to provide your own. You use 2 solo cups, per bird. One for feed, and one for water, then secure them to the cage with the binder clips. You will make sure their water is topped off, before you leave for the night, then again in the morning for the judging. The second reason you want a bit of water, is so you can clean inside their toenails if they step in the pooh. First, put in fresh shavings, then you dip the soft toothbrush into a cup of water, and do a quickie clean. The baby wipes will clean mostly anything else that gets soiled. It's pretty easy peasy, because the birds are already clean. If the show does have water, some of the exhibitors will be lined up to use it for watering their birds. You don't want to hold up the line. To me, has always been easier to carry my own.

Again, go to a show, or two so you can learn, before you attempt showing.
great advice!
That's a good idea, the baby wipes and all the other stuff to bring to the show, you must have been to a lot of shows!

One more thing I found helpful, I usually take a pair of surgical type gloves. While many just reach in, and grab the soiled pine shavings, then go wash their hands, I prefer to put on a surgical type glove, then remove it after I take out the soiled shavings.
That's a great idea!
When you wash the chickens what is the vinegar and second tub used for and do you use a blow dryer to dry them off with or let them dry naturally?

That's a great idea!
When you wash the chickens what is the vinegar and second tub used for and do you use a blow dryer to dry them off with or let them dry naturally?
Dawn Blue dish liquid cleans good, and is gentle, however the pH is a bit alkaline. The vinegar water removes any soap residue leaving the feathers sparkling clean, and restores the pH balance to the skin/feathers. The final rinse removes the vinegar. The final rinse is very important, so don't skip it. As to using a blow dryer, that depends on the feather type. A blow dryer on a medium heat setting (don't overheat the chicken) is fine for fluffy feathered birds. If you have flat smooth feathers, you want to towel dry in the direction of the feathers, multiple times, even getting a fresh dry towel, if needed, so the feathers dry flat, and smooth.

Dawn Blue dish liquid cleans good, and is gentle, however the pH is a bit alkaline. The vinegar water removes any soap residue leaving the feathers sparkling clean, and restores the pH balance to the skin/feathers. The final rinse removes the vinegar. The final rinse is very important, so don't skip it. As to using a blow dryer, that depends on the feather type. A blow dryer on a medium heat setting (don't overheat the chicken) is fine for fluffy feathered birds. If you have flat smooth feathers, you want to towel dry in the direction of the feathers, multiple times, even getting a fresh dry towel, if needed, so the feathers dry flat, and smooth.
So after the whole bath process is done, should I let the chicken dry naturally in a crate overnight?

So after the whole bath process is done, should I let the chicken dry naturally in a crate overnight?
Yes you can unless it is nice out, inc which case it can be in a cage on the lawn for some time to dry in the sun and wind before putting in the coop.
Blow drying is another option and is even recommended for the fluffier breeds but would look odd in a tighter feathered breeds. Also blow drying takes longer than you might expect.

Yes you can unless it is nice out, inc which case it can be in a cage on the lawn for some time to dry in the sun and wind before putting in the coop.
Blow drying is another option and is even recommended for the fluffier breeds but would look odd in a tighter feathered breeds. Also blow drying takes longer than you might expect.
So i should probably just let my black australorp hen dry naturally since she has tighter feathers?

Back
Top Bottom