I need the help of some friendly chicken owners!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alex.keipper, Sep 12, 2011.

1. alex.keipper

alex.keipper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Hello Backyard Chickens forum!

My name is Alex Keipper and I'm a recent graduate of the NYU film program, an animal lover and vegetarian, and I'm preparing to shoot my undergraduate thesis film starting this week into next week in the New York City area.

The film is called Skin and Bones and it's the story of a young man working to support his mother and brother financially whilst simultaneously acting out aggressions as an animal liberationist. More than that though, it's about him struggling to raise his brother, fighting his own desires and insecurities, and discovering the place his ideals have in the world he inhabits. It's also about the food we eat, the connection we have to it, and what it means it eat or not eat animals. I've been working on the project for over a year now, and it's one I'm deeply invested in.

Our story calls for several scenes to be shot using chickens in a coop the main character has built and keeps in his backyard. While we had a caring keeper of chickens from upstate New York committed to letting us use her chickens for our film, she has had a recent emergency in her family that may prevent her from helping out. We're due to shoot these scenes on Thursday, and are now scrambling a bit to find another chicken keeper who may be willing to help us out.

If anyone would be interested, I would be eternally gracious. I already owe a decent amount to Backyard Chickens, as we researched our coop design using your website! We have a modest budget to provide some form of payment that we could discuss, and of course anyone interested would be reimbursed for all personal expenses. We would only need you for part of the day on Thursday. If you'd like more info on the film, you can visit http://www.skinandbon... or ask me any questions.

Please contact me on this thread, or email me at alex (dot) keipper (at) gmail (dot) com or call me at 240.529.3859 if you're interested at all. Thanks so much!!

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. alex.keipper

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm hoping to be a NYC chicken raiser one day when I can have a backyard space.

In the mean time I'm sorry to be a passer by to the community, but I'm in need of help and really hoping someone on here has the connections or means and willingness to lend a hand!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Would love to help....our coop and run are built entirely of recycled materials....but I'm thinking Northern Vermont may be a bit too far.

6. alex.keipper

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks for helping me specify!

Vermont may be a bit far out; we're shooting in Queens NYC so I'm sure the drive would be pretty serious.

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I, too, am pretty far away. Imp nailed it with those threads. Best place to find help. Wish you the best of luck with your project!

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG] Good luck with finding an alternate site. Keep us posted on how your film is coming. [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! Hope you can find what your looking for!! [​IMG]

10. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Good luck with the film, it sounds good

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by