I need to be patient, but ... UPDATED: 3 (!!!!) Eggs on the First Day!

Trust me, I know how hard the wait is. Our first girl started laying on August 14. She is a Golden Comet, and she was 18 1/2 weeks old. Two more girls started laying this week at 24 weeks. So we went from having one egg a day to having three eggs a day. Wow! What a difference that makes. For the last month we have been hoarding eggs to have an omelet, and now we have 15 eggs because we were away for 5 days!!!! Patience is, indeed, a virtue.

The hen in your first pic looks very much like mine (good pic btw), who began laying turquoise eggs at 22 weeks.
D.gif
She's been laying about 6 eggs a week. My 3 other assorted slacker hens are about 24 weeks old now, and seem content to let Helen do all the work.
pop.gif

Xcruciating ain't it. I got my 5 girls from my cuz' "petting farm" "The Friendly Farm" in Dublin NH. He quessed they were about 20 weeks old. 1 BO, 1 BPR, 1 BA, 2 NH Reds. My Black Australorp gave me an egg after 3 days. I wasn't expecting it for at least a week or week and 1/2. Then nothing for a week and half. Now starting wk 3 with 2 eggs per day most days, my BO and BA. Reds just starting to show interest in Nest. and who knows about the BPR. gotta love that chicken TV. If you want to chuckle tell God your plans, If you want to fall down laughing tell a chicken.
clap.gif
D.gif
How red is red on the comb for laying?

Last edited:
Quote:
They don't squat when I walk up to them, and they don't seem any friendlier. They are pretty comfortable with us since we have raised them since they hatched, but they don't usually come up to me.

Quote:
Just in the evenings, although a couple of them have been flying over the 7' fence. I might go hunt around though, because they are often out for at least an hour.

Quote:
fl.gif
And I absolutely love that dog. My husband's family used to breed them, so he's fixed on that breed and won't have anything else. She is very intelligent.

Quote:
That sounds excellent! I can't wait. I just need to work on that patience.
tongue.png

Quote:
Right now, they have those grey plastic "fake grass" nest pads covered with a layer of pine shavings. I just ordered some wooden eggs to put in there, too as extra encouragement!

Quote:
Then we are in nearly the same boat! I hope you see some more eggs soon. Maybe this will be the week!

Quote:
Wow! What breed is the 30-week girl?

Quote:
No kidding. I did get them for the eggs, but I ended up really enjoying them - and thank goodness, because that's all I've got for now!
smile.png

My Americaunas just started laying this week @21 weeks. I would never have guessed them to be first... So many of my others have much larger combs & wattles. I have two & I'm not sure if they are both laying or just one but I have gotten 3 since Friday. One or two of my RIR's are laying jelly eggs though.

Back
Top Bottom