1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need to be patient, but ... UPDATED: 3 (!!!!) Eggs on the First Day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChestnutRidge, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I have 5 pullets which are 22 weeks old today. They were hatched for Mahonri's Easter Hatch this spring. Three are Easter Eggers, which I think I've read are notoriously late to start laying, but I thought I might have an egg by now from my Speckled Sussex or Welsummer. [​IMG]

Also, I figured I'd begin offering oyster shell or some other calcium supplement once I saw the first egg (which I expect to be soft). Is that correct, or should I offer calcium in anticipation of point-of-lay? I am really enjoying my chickens, but every time I buy eggs I wonder when I will be able to stop. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    After 20 weeks, I give them layer pellets. ;-)

3. nincomcoop

nincomcoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Should be any day now! My SS and EEs started around that time. The anticipation is grueling tho.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You are really close. My welsummers don't start laying until 24 weeks. I still have one holding out on me at 28 weeks (along with 2 barnevelders).

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I was at the same place you are a couple months ago. The first of my 7 hens to lay (an Ancona) laid her first egg at 22 weeks/6 days - and the last (an EE) laid her first egg at 26 weeks/4 days. Now, on many days I get an egg from all 7 - and it is unusual to get less than 5 per day. So it'll happen, but the waiting sure is hard!

6. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe in the next few weeks...

So, you think I should go ahead with the calcium?

7. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Here were some of the ladies today. I think their combs are red enough to be ready...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe not Henny...
    [​IMG]

8. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Your first pic looks just like one of my EEs, only mine has a little more black on her head. It makes her look evil, but she's a sweetie. Are your girls squatting yet? Have they gotten friendlier? I still have an EE who hasn't started laying yet. She is over 22 weeks, but a runt.

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    do you freerange all day? They might have a hidden nest somewhere. Those EE combs do look very red.

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    They sure look close and I'd expect one any day as well, like the Healer we have one also....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by