I need to build a chicken "apartment"

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Some of you may know about my blind pullet, Tiny. I've decided it would be best for her and less stress on the both of us if she had a place of her own.

I'm afraid if she stays in the general population (23 other chickens) then she will be picked on a lot and my rooster may giver her a hard time if you know what I mean. She has a bad habit of wandering to far from the hen house and she ends up panting like a dog in the heat of the southern sun. My chickens are in a 40'x50' pen, I'm thinking about fencing off about 5'x10' for Tiny and 3 or 4 of my leghorns. My leghorns are very sweet and they don't pick on Tiny at all.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have plans for a simple, small hen house?
2. Should I insulate it since there will only be 4 to 5 hens in it and less body heat? (It never gets really cold here but just in case)
And this is a stupid question 3. Will my leghorns be mad at me for separating them from the rest of the flock?

Last edited:
I think seperateing them would be a great idea. POor little tiny. I dont think the others will be "mad" Maybe confused for a few days. They will adjust just fine, im sure.
As far as the new coop, is there a way you can build it onto the existing coop, and maybe just have a fence "wall" between all of the others? That way they will still benefit from the heat of all of the others, and still get to chat in the evenings.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

If it were me I would hit craigslist and freecycle hard and try to find a free rabbit hutch,dog house or even a shipping crate. They are easily converted to a house for a few hens. Then just bolt it to your existing coop. You would want to take the legs off of a hutch so it would be at ground level for Tiny. I just got a free hutch and turned it into a nice little coop and added a run this week. Easy as pie.

Ok I think we know what we're going to do. We're going to start this weekend....dispite the scattered thunderstorms, 100 degree weather and 100% humidity.

Tiny better love me for this!!! I'll add pictures as we work.

Back
Top Bottom