I need to find a border collie breeder in upstate ny!!!!!!

oconnorfamily25

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
My family wants a herding dog to protect the chickens and horses, and border collies look like the best choice.

our only problem is finding a breeder. We live in upstate ny, capital region.
Does anyone have a reference?

Research the breed. With a lot of work and trained properly (worked) they are great dogs. Let to their own they are heck on wheels. You don't just "get" a border collie. You live one. The reason a lot of rescues get border collies is that they are such high energy animals.

Last edited:
I'm also not sure a Border Collie (or any herding breed, really) is the best choice for a livestock guardian dog.

Thank you, and I think that we can handle a border collie. But we will visit someone with a bc and see if they the right kind of dog for our family.

Quote:
A Border Collie wont protect your chickens or horses. Very few herding breeds will also protect and those are the big drover type ones that herd by barking. I LOVE Border Collies, but I've lived with enough to know they'd be my last choice for protecting anything.

Actually, you'll need to protect your chickens and horses FROM the Border Collie, as they will relentlessly herd them.

A Border Collie has ONE goal in life and that is to take moving things, bunch them up and move them somewhere else. My current pup, despite his looks isn't pure and has enough cattle dog in him that he is very "grippy"
IMAG0009-1.jpg

I have lost 3 chickens to his herding them before he learned that I don't want the chickens herded and he must not herd with his mouth. Can't even be mad at him over it. It's just the Border Collie learning curve.
The problem is that they're cute, fluffy black and white dogs. An experienced BC owner is thinking "Cute .... riiiiight" and remembering how NOT cute the dog's first 3 years are. Cute like living with a hyper intelligent chainsaw.

If you feel that in spite of all this and with the knowledge that the dog is highly unlikely to protect anything, go to a rescue and see about an older dog. They mellow out after 3 or 4 years (lol, well, some of them do)

I agree that the BC is not the choice for you. They are to much of a herding dog and lack any protection that you are wanting.
Look into the Livestock guardian breeds, Maremma and the Pry. Look on your local state agriculture website for some near you.
Nobody is suggestion you can't handle a BC just that for the purpose you want one for, is not a fit. You said you wanted a guarding dog not a herding dog.
Horses certainly do not like to be herded and will easily kill a BC that tries to herd it. And like the PP said, she lost some of her chickens due to her BC herding.

I'm afraid I have to go with the flow here.
My friend had a wonderful and fabulous border collie who we all loved to pieces. All of us, that is, except the chickens and the horses. Neither of those animals enjoys the relentless herding and nipping that BCs engage in, nor could anything deter the dog from that self-appointed mission (including some hearty kicks from a very large and powerful Warmblood).

Back
Top Bottom