"I need to get my ducks in a row"

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
ok, i'm going to go to my city hall to get a Zoning Varitation. my mom told me to go on this fourm and ask what to do. how do i get a zoning variance? i needz advice. btw, for those who don't know, its almost solid as a rock, moving to Medina MN, the place that dosn't allow chickens...

Do you have the variance application?

You can save yourself the initial trip to City Hall if you get the form (available online?), fill it out, and bring it with all requisite attendant information. This form and additional info include:

Your name, the address of the property in question, the current zoning, your zoning change request, the owners names and addresses for all adjacent properties, and possibly photos.

If you can't get the form online, your first trip to City Hall will be to meet with someone from Zoning department who will give you the forms and explain what you should do with it.

Once you fill out and submit the paperwork, they should send you a notice of when your case will be heard (4-6 weeks after you submit your application). Usually there are monthly or every-other-monthly meetings dedicated to variances. They will notify everyone who could be affected, and there will be a public notice stating "4700 Elmira Rd, bounded by Banks and Olympia Street, requests change from 2-family housing to 4-family housing". Anyone who cares will show up at the meeting to support/contest your variance.

The city will also have their own opinions about it, and will discuss the situation with you at the meeting. Bring any supporting documentation you can: Examples of chicken-friendly zoning verbage, a list of major metropolitan areas and their basic chicken codes, newspaper articles about urban chickens, letters from all your neighbors saying they approve (if they can't make the meeting in person), your personal coop plans (including location in your yard, and location of neighboring houses), and your plan for keeping things clean and rodent free.

I suggest sitting in on a meeting prior to your scheduled meeting so you know what to expect. The discussions will be very different, but the questions will be similar, and you'll get a feel for what information they'll be looking for.

Good luck.

Quote:
You will need to get the proper form and fill in all the information requested. There is not single form for all places, so we can't really answer your question very well unless you post a copy of any questions you are having difficulty with.

You should have facts and figures ready. You may be asked questions or not. Be prepared. Also keep your dress neat and be your most pleasant. How you show yourself is how they will see you and how you will "look" when they decide about your chickens. Also you need to tell them if you will be keeping roos and how many chickens total.

Good Luck tell us how it goes.

Quote:
You will need to get the proper form and fill in all the information requested. There is not single form for all places, so we can't really answer your question very well unless you post a copy of any questions you are having difficulty with.

It also depends on exactly what your zoning ordinances say. If they say "no fowl", then you're requesting a variance to allow fowl. If they say "no livestock", "livestock [defined as] any animal that typically lives on a farm", then you're requesting a variance to remove chickens from the livestock definition. If your lot is too small, your variance would be to allow chickens on a lot smaller than that which allows chickens. If your coop will be too close to the property line or neighbors house (this is very important, re "accessory buildings" in the codes related to your particular zone), then the variance is to allow your coop within the requisite setbacks.

Things to know:

What is your zone?
What do the ordinances say are allowed/not allowed in your zone?
What is the specific anti-chicken language?
Are chickens allowed as a conditional use (also requires application) in another zone?
How far away is the closest chicken-friendly (agricultural?) zone?
What are the setback requirements for your coop? Will it be far enough away from neighboring houses and property lines per the code (illegal chickens or no; otherwise you'll have to apply for another variance for your coop construction) ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom