I need to integrate and I'm terrified

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
My GLW and turkeys are 6 weeks old tmo and still in their brooder. I want so bad for them to do what ckns do and feel the dirt and grass and eat bugs. HOWEVER, they will be integrated with my now 6 RSL (just lost two of them due to soft / stuck egg??).

So my issues have been:

some ill looking birds missing feathers after a very very cold and long winter.
two recently dead hens due to soft/stuck eggs?
and I think I just found little black bugs crawling around a previously damp nest (treated with de).

Can anyone calm me or set me straight?

p.s. I really really would rather not use any kind of chemicals.

My plan was to cut another enter/exit hole and install a dividing mesh between their living areas for a month then remove and let them mingle.

Are your birds molting? Check for any other problem? If there's any illness I keep them seperated... Try some food grade DE for bugs... Put them in a temp housing situation outside, part of the time? Check my BYC page, I just got a baby crawl playpen, works great! Mine are only 3 weeks old, so it's field trip time...

When I found bugs, I researched on here and found Poultry Protector. It is all natural and helps with the pests. I try not to worry too much about integrating. I put a dog crate in the run to help with the process. They eventually just add themselves into the coop as they are ready. Perhaps my chickens are used to having new birds intordued, as there has never been a problem. They have been fine with pheasants, ducks and 15 new chicks added.

Thank you all. I really don't know if they were moulting. They looked so terrible and in such strange places and one still, four months later, has a bare bum. I have to integrate 13 chicks and 4 turkeys to the existing 6. I so wish I had a dog crate big enough for them. We are thinking of sectioning off the coop with wire and boards for a few weeks and not cutting another chicken door. I supposed it won't kill them to not be able to go outside for a few more weeks since the only chicken door is near where the old girls will be separated. Think rectangle with the chicks getting 2/3's and the old girls getting 1/3 and the run space.

As for bugs I've cleaned the entire place, sprinkled DE and treated with a bit of natural de-wormer.

Good grief I hope I don't lose any of the chicks/turkeys to bacteria or parasites.

Back
Top Bottom