I need to kill my roo and i cant do it

No the rooster will protect he will attack the hawk as I have seen to protect his girl in the end taking the beating and giving his life to save hers as for dogs mine know not to run the girls yes he put the dogs in place also
When you have a breed that learns as fast as an Aussie, no telling what will happen after he dispatches the first rooster who attacked him.

All it took was the second threat from a black cat; if he catches a black cat, it's dead.

Color does matter to him, so not all cats are in peril around him.

When you have a breed that learns as fast as an Aussie, no telling what will happen after he dispatches the first rooster who attacked him.

All it took was the second threat from a black cat; if he catches a black cat, it's dead.

Color does matter to him, so not all cats are in peril around him.
He won't ever catch our black cat! LOL! He kills jack rabbits the size of him and once fought of a pack of javalinas. He is so muscular and strong, but at times he acts like a big baby. :gig

@LilyS
The easiest humane way to kill an unwanted bird is with dry ice, a 5 gal bucket, and a little patience (about 30 seconds). It is accepted by the American Veterinarian Association as a humane way to dispatch...IF you do it correctly...which I will tell you how.

First, go down to your local grocery store (like Fred Meyer or Krogers...I'm in Oregon too), ask for about 1/4 pound of dry ice. The clerk has to get it for you because they'll need to handle it with gloves. Never handle dry ice with bare hands due to the fact that it is kept at about -109 degrees F. Keep the dry ice in the fridge freezer until evening. (It won't be there by morning though as it is melting in your freezer). It will last about 8 hours in the freezer.

Get a 5 lb bucket with lid (like the one at Home Depot). About 5 minutes before the deed, put the dry ice at the bottom of the bucket and pour 1 cup of warm water on it. It will build a huge cloud of vapor. Place the lid on the bucket, slightly dislodged, to allow this vapor to build up to a large cloud inside the bucket (that is the secret of humane killing).

At night, pick your rank rooster off the roost, hanging upside down to keep him calm. Quickly lower into the huge cloud of CO2 and place the lid, again slightly dislodged, to avoid gas blowing the lid off. He will gulp one quick gulp and be rendered unconscious immediately. Leave him in bucket for a full minute or two. He will be suffocated within 30 seconds, but will flap for several minutes....I usually have them quiet by 30 seconds though.

Guaranteed to work painlessly and quickly with as little trauma to yourself. (Broomstick method is a little tricky to get right the first time, and can cause a lot of squawking and fighting if you don't do it right).

My method.
LofMc
Thanks, for this LofMc. This is my first time raising chickens and I had one crazy mean and loud roo. It was my fault because I didn't know to handle them daily, plus we had another roo in the mix and only six hens. Long story short this roo would crow morning, noon and night. And, he would attack everything in sight including my children. My husband eventually had to take him out and shoot him, but it was horrifying for me and he felt bad, too. Having to dispatch of anything is just horrid. However, this seems like it would be not too bad. So, thanks for the info! Best wishes.

Thanks, for this LofMc. This is my first time raising chickens and I had one crazy mean and loud roo. It was my fault because I didn't know to handle them daily, plus we had another roo in the mix and only six hens. Long story short this roo would crow morning, noon and night. And, he would attack everything in sight including my children. My husband eventually had to take him out and shoot him, but it was horrifying for me and he felt bad, too. Having to dispatch of anything is just horrid. However, this seems like it would be not too bad. So, thanks for the info! Best wishes.
It doesn't make it any easier, but I remind myself that as part of animal husbandry, we take on a responsibility to be kind even if it's not always nice. That means doing the right thing even when it is repulsive. I'm glad you had someone to do the 'wet work' for you.
Let him know you appreciate it, even if he says "It's nothing."

He won't ever catch our black cat! LOL! He kills jack rabbits the size of him and once fought of a pack of javalinas. He is so muscular and strong, but at times he acts like a big baby. :gig
He didn't catch my buddies black cat either, but the calamity upstairs of books coming off shelves, chairs getting knocked over and curtains getting torn off walls was like a cartoon sound track!🤣

It doesn't make it any easier, but I remind myself that as part of animal husbandry, we take on a responsibility to be kind even if it's not always nice. That means doing the right thing even when it is repulsive. I'm glad you had someone to do the 'wet work' for you.
Let him know you appreciate it, even if he says "It's nothing."
I totally understand. I'm learning that part of having these birds is loosing them. There's hard stuff involved with this. It's not all fun and games. This is my first time with chickens and I guess I've been treating them more as pets than actual chickens!

My rooster Angry Johnny is so mean I can no longer go outside to be with my birds or garden with out him running up on me and attacking or just straight up looking at me, ruffling his feathers and then charging me.
I just can't bring myself to actually physically hurt him. I feel bad wen I have to hit him with my be good stick. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

My rooster Angry Johnny is so mean I can no longer go outside to be with my birds or garden with out him running up on me and attacking or just straight up looking at me, ruffling his feathers and then charging me.
I just can't bring myself to actually physically hurt him. I feel bad wen I have to hit him with my be good stick. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?
Water hose !!

Back
Top Bottom