I need to kill my roo and i cant do it

If you look on the meat bird forum you'll find a number of excellent posts about how to cull.

My preference so far is the broomstick method -- cervical dislocation is instant death (though the flapping reaction, which is caused by the severed nerves, is disconcerting). For the branch lopper method you need the BYPASS type of loppers, not the anvil sort.

This,
View attachment 2665850

NOT this,
View attachment 2665844

For me the broomstick is physically easier but for many people the loppers are mentally-easier because no head = certainty that the death was quick.

I wasn't even aware of the anvil style. Thanks for pointing that out!

You can kill him quickly using the broomstick method. I have done it twice on aggressive roosters. This is how it works—I grabbed him off the roost at night and held him upside down by his feet. This immediately quiets the bird. I had the broomstick laying on the ground nearby, next to a 5 gallon bucket w lid. Still holding the feet, I quickly laid him on the ground, belly down, tail toward me, put the broomstick over the back of his neck and stepped on the stick on either side of the neck and jerked the feet upwards. I felt the neck break. They say this kills the bird instantly but the wings will flap after he is dead (even if you chop off the head.). So I dropped him into the bucket, put the lid on and walked away. It was all done in a minute.
Good luck, it’s never easy.

I had a huge Australorp rooster that was a sweetheart and my favorite of the chickens, but he wasn't always that way. My dad got tired of him attacking with three-inch spurs when we went to feed the chickens, and gave me an ultimatum -- either we sold him, I tamed him, or he became dinner.

I separated him from the rest of the chickens and worked on taming him down. It was much easier to build a bond with him without the hens working him up. Over the course of a week I would hand-feed him, pet him, and sit with him. He began to tame down.

The second week, I would bring a hen into his pen for an hour or so and sit with them, then after a day or two I would bring in another. He learned that I wasn't a risk to him or his hens.

I was able to reintroduce him to the flock and he never attacked me or my family again. To this day he was the sweetest and my most favorite of my chickens.

I'd recommend trying it with your rooster. It's worth a shot at least. If it doesn't work, I'd go with cervical dislocation through the broomstick method. It's less messy.

Attachments

• ping 1.JPG
    ping 1.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 34
  • ping 2.JPG
    ping 2.JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom