I need to kill my roo and i cant do it

Pics
yeah.

maybe you could actually try. you could look up how to make a noose, then just find somewhere high, and wait an hour for him to die.

Goodness, folks! No animal cruelty please.

Grab him from the roost at night, tuck him under your arm head in front, then hit him right behind the comb where the head merges into the neck and he will go limp.
Then chop the head right off with a meat chopper or a hatchet.
If you want to eat him, hang him by his tied feet to let him bleed out without having him flop allover the place.

a stick is not going to help i know that for sure. it will just make him angrier. my roo austin he will try and fight my leg through the netting. i noticed when i clean the coop, he is afraid of the rake tho so i just drive it at him like a car to leave me alone 😂😂

when mine is being mean, i chase and corner him. then using 2 hands (1 around base of tail and other on the center of the back) i push him down while i grab hold of his legs. then i hold him by the legs and carry him like that while i relocate him elsewhere (usually over the fence, into our yard) while i'm out with them

but he is a larger sized bantam, so i don't know how this would work with large roos. thank god my giant Delaware roo is nice. you can always use a net tho if your roo is too violent. i could never kill mine no matter how mean it is, most the time i just deal with him attacking me, but only if my legs/feet are protected. otherwise i pick him up and throw him to fly to the other side of the run or over the fence. i know we used to have a big roo that was so crazy and mean. back then i hadn't known how to handle chickens so when he would attack,, i would scare him away by yelling and chasing him away (im so mean i know ;-;) that guy always would kick his claws in my face any time i bent over and made me bleed quite a few times

another thing u could do tho is seperate him where there's no other chickens around and just have one on one time. this doesn't really help the attitude but it helps me feel more comfortable. i always do this with my mean roo. he'll come sit for a snuggle on my lap, go for a car ride with the family (and eat snacks) or go in the house at night time to watch a movie (with a nice fluffy blanket) i always hope that this will improve his trust with me but whenever we go back to the coop he instantly becomes an ass again. we have a love hate relationship lol
I use a rake or whatever is close. Johnny is a bantam also. He's beautiful but he's gotta go. I have small nephew's that live with us and him attacking us is bullshit but he's made them bleed already.

@LilyS, how are things panning out with your rooster?

My favorite way of culling, is a kill cone, and loppers.
To do so, take a tomato trellis, and pound it into the ground so its stable. Then, take a traffic cone about the size needed for the rooster, and lop the end of the cone off big enough for the roosters head to stick out of the end. Lastly, hand the one upside down in the tomato trellis to create a kill cone. You can put a bucket at the bottom if you want, that will catch all the blood.
I will admit, I personally, have never killed anything more then a mosquito. I can't kill a thing lol! I can set up the station, but certainly can't kill a healthy, living animal. If it was suffering I probably could, but beyond that, no. I hope this method helps!
My nephew was supposed to kill him but I think he might feel bad about it so I'm just going to handle it myself tonight. I can't bring myself to physically hurt him so I'm looking into other methods. I've raised him since he was a tiny chick so it's hard but hopefully tomorrow I'll have some better news.

I use a rake or whatever is close. Johnny is a bantam also. He's beautiful but he's gotta go. I have small nephew's that live with us and him attacking us is bullshit but he's made them bleed already.
That is grounds enough for the roo to go, by any means necessary Don't feel bad, you did what you could. The roo decided.

I hope OP has figured out a solution.

I thought I would share how we do it here, thanks to @Overo Mare. We wrap the chicken tight in an old towel, clip it with a binder clip & pop it in the head with a .22. DH is much more comfortable with this method, it's what works for him. & the bonus is there is no flapping around after.
Yeah, people gotta do what works for them.

He’s dead you guys. I’m in my room crying 😭
Great job! I could never do that, it takes some guts to do what you have to do sometimes. I'm so sorry its so hard, I totally get it. It'll get easier. Just remember that whatever you did was humane, and fast. He didn't suffer, or hardly know what hit him. *Hugs* :hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom