I need to kill my roo and i cant do it

Pics
May I ask what you use to render him unconscious? Are you talking about using the pinky side of your hand in a chop like way? Would the same method be like this for a standard size rooster? Thank you
I use the blunt side of the hatchet, so with just turning the hatchet in my hand, putting the birds head on the chopping block, and the head will be chopped of within seconds of grabbing him from the roost.

It is the same procedure for every bird, but you can also use a short metal or wood rod for the blow to the head.

No fear, pain or commotion at all.

I use the blunt side of the hatchet, so with just turning the hatchet in my hand, putting the birds head on the chopping block, and the head will be chopped of within seconds of grabbing him from the roost.

It is the same procedure for every bird, but you can also use a short metal or wood rod for the blow to the head.

No fear, pain or commotion at all.
Thank you for replying. I meant the initial blow that just knocks them out before beheading. Thanks again

So, you end up having to kill a 3 year old rooster maybe older. What is the best way to cook it so it's eatable? Slow cooker in a stew or what?

Aaron
The flavor will be fine, it's just that the meat is hard to chew.

Yes, slow cooker works.
Or grind the meat.
Or chop it really small.
Or do some combination, like slow cooker and then chopping.

Smokers can do wonders to meat, even tough ones if you marinade them. I typically do london broils that I marinate a few DAYS, in a 2 gallon bag of spiced gloop. I turn it a few times a day to get the mushies all over, then throw it on the smoker, CHicken, a bit of mesquite and hickory can do wonders with. Nice and tender. You might want to go a bit harder on the temp and get it done in a few hours .vs. several hours, if the meat has the potential to be tough, don't want to dry it out too. but typically then tenderize real well.

Just never did a real old bird so not sure how tough it really is.

Edit: I have a Freeze Dryer and put marinades under high vacuum for a few minutes too, when you pull it down to 50 millitorr, ie to just below the threshold of liquid boiling at room temp and hold it, the let the air back in, it forces the juices into the meat and that can help too.

Aaron

So, you end up having to kill a 3 year old rooster maybe older. What is the best way to cook it so it's eatable? Slow cooker in a stew or what?

Aaron
I believe it was @aart that told me to rest the meat for a few days and that will help with rooster meat. My 2 year old roosters were the topic and this was suggested

Back
Top Bottom