I need to know the breed of a rooster and two hens? Please Help!!!!!

How old are your barred rocks? The upper one has the fine barring typical of BR roos. And with a comb/wattles so red and developed, I'd say it's a cockerel if less than 3-4 months old...

However, if it is a girl, that is one gorgeous hen!

How old are your barred rocks? The upper one has the fine barring typical of BR roos. And with a comb/wattles so red and developed, I'd say it's a cockerel if less than 3-4 months old...

However, if it is a girl, that is one gorgeous hen!
I agree. The Barred Rock in front is a rooster. The other, darker one behind is a hen.

Thanks everyone for the info. I would like to know if they are better than Hatchery quality or not. Here is a picture of my BR Cockerel Leopold.

He hatched at the end of May. So he is about six months old. From the research I have done his ancestors I guess you would call them never came from a hatchery. I was able to track down three people who have bred his bloodline. I would appreciate your feed back. Sorry I dont have any pics of hen. The a camera shy. But I will try again when I go to gather eggs.

Josh

Josh you might go to the breed, genetics and showing section, there are some good threads on quality barred rocks, on title is Good Shepherd barred rocks.......those folks have NICE birds and can help critique your bird. I can tell you they'll probably want a better profile shot to really eval conformation.

Thanks everyone for the info. I would like to know if they are better than Hatchery quality or not. Here is a picture of my BR Cockerel Leopold.

He hatched at the end of May. So he is about six months old. From the research I have done his ancestors I guess you would call them never came from a hatchery. I was able to track down three people who have bred his bloodline. I would appreciate your feed back. Sorry I dont have any pics of hen. The a camera shy. But I will try again when I go to gather eggs.

Josh

Josh, He is pretty. But he's far from heritage, old line stock. Better than hatchery? Depends on who you ask, I guess. Folks breed hatchery stock all time, even for years and years. The thread recommended Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch Heritage Barred Rocks is a great thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/399477/barred-rocks-good-shepard-poulty-ranch

I'm blessed to have some the Frank Reese line birds.

Another really good thread is the Heritage Large Fowl thread. There are some photos KathyinMo put up just a day or two ago. Great thread. That'll give you something to compare your bird to. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/7000

The BRs are better than hatchery, but not show quality. Hatchery stock don't have crisp barring like the ones in the OPs pics.

Your Barred Rocks are very, very pretty. Please understand, they are superior to 90% of the birds posted here. Yes, they are that good. But, as Pele says, they aren't that eye popping grade of the very top birds. I'd be very proud to have them in my chicken barn.

Let me ask you this. How fast, if you got them as chicks, did they take to feather out? How fast did they mature? What did they look like at say, 6 weeks? What did they look like at 14 weeks? If you have a hen that is laying, at what point did she come into lay? 18 weeks? 20 weeks?

These are not frivolous questions. Just trying to dig a little deeper.

Your Barred Rocks are very, very pretty. Please understand, they are superior to 90% of the birds posted here. Yes, they are that good. But, as Pele says, they aren't that eye popping grade of the very top birds. I'd be very proud to have them in my chicken barn.

Let me ask you this. How fast, if you got them as chicks, did they take to feather out? How fast did they mature? What did they look like at say, 6 weeks? What did they look like at 14 weeks? If you have a hen that is laying, at what point did she come into lay? 18 weeks? 20 weeks?

These are not frivolous questions. Just trying to dig a littl
I hatched my young ones from some birds that I bought as adults. The best I can remember it took them awhile to feather out completely. About three weeks I think. After that though they seemed to really grow at a suprising rate.We weighed my rooster as 18 weeks and he weighed almost nine pounds. And as far as I know they havn't matured. I have not gotten an egg from them yet and the rooster has not crowed any either. I was told though that the reason the girls may not have laid yet may have been due to molting. I hope this is a little more helpful. And I truly appreciate the information everyone on here has given me. Are Frank Reese birds hard to get. If it is possible to buy them I totally would.

I hatched my young ones from some birds that I bought as adults. The best I can remember it took them awhile to feather out completely. About three weeks I think. After that though they seemed to really grow at a suprising rate.We weighed my rooster as 18 weeks and he weighed almost nine pounds. And as far as I know they havn't matured. I have not gotten an egg from them yet and the rooster has not crowed any either. I was told though that the reason the girls may not have laid yet may have been due to molting. I hope this is a little more helpful. And I truly appreciate the information everyone on here has given me. Are Frank Reese birds hard to get. If it is possible to buy them I totally would.

The true heritage lines, that are known to me, are the Stuekel line and the Frank Reese line. I can describe the Good Shepherd (Reese) line. They took 8-9 weeks to cover their half naked little selves. LOL NO joke, That are just that slow to develop. They are HUGE and extremely calm birds. The cockerels take a full year to develop and the pullets are now at 29 weeks and not an egg in sight. To say the heritage lines of Barred Rocks are sloooooooow growers is an understatement.

I have some higher quality production oriented Barred Rocks that feather out 3-4 weeks and enter point of lay at around 20-22 weeks. There is an obvious difference in two kinds of Barred Rocks. I enjoy them both for what they are.

First year birds don't moult, not in the heavy sense. This they reserve until they are around 18 months old.

Pullets coming into point of lay in autumn struggle. The daylight hours are too short to trigger their retina to trigger the brain, to trigger the reproductive system.
So? We wait and wait.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Here is a couple more pics of my cockerel. I think that these are a little bit better pictures. Thanks so much for the information you have given. I hope to someday raise show quality Barred Rocks. I havn't been doing this long but they are definitely my favorite breed. Do you know where I might be able to purchase Heritage Line Rocks. I would be seriously interested in chicks or hatching eggs.

I had to put this picture on here. This is my daughter Macy with her favorite Rooster Leopold. She is the biggest reason I do this. She wants to show her Barred Rocks at the Tennessee Valley Fair. And being the good and competitive dad I am I want her to be able to show the best.

Back
Top Bottom