I need to know the sex of my chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kriston79, Apr 6, 2016.

1. kriston79

kriston79 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    New York
    I have 6 Plymouth Bard Rock Chicks that are about 5 to 6 weeks old... I have no clue what their sex is, but I really want to know. I do not want Roosters and If I have some I need to get them a new home to some one that might need them for I cannot have them in my area. Can anyone one help me figure this out? Is there a way to check or know?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    just from this pic - it looks like the top left bird is a female and the bottom left 2 (of the 4 on bottom) are females.
    Hard to tell from the pics

At this age, their comb should be a good indicator. If it is large and red, it is a roo.

3. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    It looks like three pullets and three roosters. In the first pic the three on the right look to be the roosters, and the three on the left pullets

4. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    I agree. looks like 3 of each. It might help a little if you could post individual pictures of each chick. Are there any red waddle buds coming in? I have 2 barred Rock pullets (11weeks) and one has always had a bigger comb but neither combs are bright red and no waddle buds yet. Also mine are both pretty black and white. Is the coloring of the 3 with larger pinker combs more greyish?

5. kriston79

Mar 8, 2016
    New York
    I agree. looks like 3 of each. It might help a little if you could post individual pictures of each chick. Are there any red waddle buds coming in? I have 2 barred Rock pullets (11weeks) and one has always had a bigger comb but neither combs are bright red and no waddle buds yet. Also mine are both pretty black and white. Is the coloring of the 3 with larger pinker combs more greyish?

6. kriston79

Mar 8, 2016
    New York
    Thanks for the responses. You folks just confirmed what I feared. Only I would pick 3 roosters out of six chicks. LOL!

7. kriston79

Mar 8, 2016
    New York

8. kriston79

Mar 8, 2016
    New York
    Oh yes they are grayish compared to the other chickens.

9. kriston79

Mar 8, 2016
    New York

10. kriston79

Mar 8, 2016
    New York

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by