I need to know what you feed your adult rabbits

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi!! I got my bunnie two years ago and I’ve kept her on the same diet she has been on her whole life! These pellets with unlimited Timothy hay!
927832EC-17F3-461F-A5F4-890F699C36B3.jpeg
But lately she has been having wet poops! They look they the ones she is supposed to eat but she has a couple a day and it isgetting to the point it is not normal! I thought it might be there is too much fiber in this food so I was wondering? How do I switch her foods and which foodwould be best for an adult rabbit!? What do you feed yours?

Last edited:
Hi there,
I feed mine he same stuff but also give them a big handful of either alfalfatimothy hay or orchard grass daily.
I also try to give them some fresh veggies daily. With winter being here they get 1/3 large carrot every day but during the warmer season kale, cabbage etc.
1580396095974.png

this gives you the food pyramid for bunnies :)

Last edited:
I used to have my rabbits on that feed, but I switched to small pet select along with their timothy hay, since they're just 2 pet rabbits. They get treats sparingly.

Also, my one rabbit started to have the same problem. It was a few years ago, but he was already getting up in age at that point, so I don't know if it was age or if it was a fiber problem as you mentioned. (I researched the topic a lot but I don't quite remember everything now) I'd have to do my research again to refresh my memory. He's around 10-11 yo now, probably was 7-9 when the issue first occurred.

I cut back on his pellets to half a cup a day for both rabbits, no more than that. I often will not give fresh pellets if I see they still have around half of the last day's pellets in the bowl. I don't really give my rabbits fresh veggies daily, but instead give them sparingly as a treat. I keep them on unlimited timothy hay as well. Cutting the pellets back seemed to have worked for me, but I don't know if that would work for you.

I'm sorry for making another reply, but I wanted to correct myself above and add one last thing...

I misspoke about the fiber. It is actually carbohydrates that can cause the issue, and that the rabbit should have a high fiber diet. Now I'm only going from one source right now, but I remember it now and I know that several other sources basically said the same thing from my prior research.

Give this thread a read:

https://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/
The things you see, if you haven't heard of it, are cecotropes. It's different than poop and very important for rabbits to consume. I typed in a google search 'why is my bunny producing so many cecotropes' and tons of threads pop up.

Hope I helped. :)

A tablespoon or so of canned pumpkin, or a bit of bitter greens daily for a week to ten days will often settle their digestion. If they have been on antibiotics, had surgery, or vaccines, a probiotic will help to rebalance the gut flora.
If they seem bored by their hay (not eating enough) switch around. Make sure its fresh.

Back
Top Bottom