I need to lance/drain an absessed hock, any advice?

Skipper is reconsidering making that call to an attorney, I've been giving her all sorts of special meals to help her recovery. Scrambled eggs, cooked corn, canned pumpkin, fresh spinach, yogurt, oatmeal, & more. Ah, the way to a chicken's heart is through her beak.

And she is putting weight on her injured leg! I unwrapped it this afternoon and placed her to soak in a bucket with 6" of warm epsom salt solution for 10 minutes. Then I tried to swab out a bit more of the loose gunk. Afterwards I gooped on a lot of antiseptic ointment and wrapped it up again.

She is eating with good appetite, making nice healthy-looking poops, has bright eyes & good color. She spends her time in the hospital cage setting down on the perch or standing on the floor looking around. I bet she wishes she could get down on the ground & take a vigorous dust bath, but I don't want her to get dirt in that big open wound.

I guess I'll keep up this treatment for several days or more, hope to see her continue to make recovery. Skipper & I thank you all for your thoughts & prayers. Please, if you have ANY more helpful imput, please share them with us!

Back
Top Bottom