I need to move my chickens out of their house....

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
Winter is a coming and I want to move my chickens into the barn. They free range all day long and go into their house before dark. Their house is quite old and my husband and I are actually stripping it down and making it much cleaner, newer, and easier to work with.

Are plan is to move the chickens into the barn at night - but I am afraid since they are so use to the chicken house that they wont go in the barn.

I am thinking if I maybe keep the chicken house door shut and also keep the chickens in the barn for a few days, they should get the new habit.

Has anyone else done this before? Do you think the chickens will pick up the new habit quickly?

I hate to confuse them like this, but I want that chicken house striped down before winter comes so once spring comes we can get working on the new and improved chicken house. It is going to be awesome!! I can't wait!

Any advice is appreciated!

Keep them in the barn for a week. Then they'll learn that that's where they sleep. It will also help if you remove or close their other house so they can't go in. They'll adapt.

Back
Top Bottom