Semi feral/wild hen with new babies

Catherinemae86

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2023
Houston, TX
Hi everyone,
One of the neighborhood chickens recently hatched 3 adorable baby chicks! While I am thrilled, I am also worried. It is winter, the main rooster was stolen and she is in a field that is not near where the remaining flock hang out (front of my house versus back).

I live in Houston, TX so it's not that cold although I hear an arctic blast is coming. I'm more concerned with her and predators. Considering she is semi-feral (she will come to me and my yard but no one else), does anyone have any recommendations on how best to support her? She is one of the more skittish birds and probably moreso now with babies. I was able to sit next to them yesterday afternoon when I found them and could probably manage to catch them if I knew the best way to setup them up with some sort of brooder. I've read various posts about needing very little space and primarily protection from predators but does this apply to a flock of feral chickens who have never been restricted to a cage? Should I leave them be?

I am desperately working on trying to find a place to buy and take all the remaining flock with me so no jerks can steal my precious roosters again, but until then all I can do is try and keep them safe!

Photo for cuteness - 3 babies and all different colors!

Attachments

• PXL_20240103_190432400_exported_14768.jpg
    PXL_20240103_190432400_exported_14768.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 38
Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do. You could try and catch them and put them somewhere complete safe, but the hen might not like it at all (given her feral status). Do you have any guardian animals on the property? @Red Mangrove has a 24/7 free range flock doing really well. Personally I'd let her do what she's good at, keep a close eye on her, and hope for the best

I agree, I'd let her do her thing, if she's wild/semi feral she may injure herself or the chicks if you try to enclose her.
Hens with chicks can be quite frantic if they feel threatened. Better to let her raise these, she will try her best to find a safe spot and she will keep the chicks warm.

You can support her and the chicks by providing a dish/feeder with Chick Starter or an All Flock crumble if it's winter and foraging is at a minimum.

The other members of the flock may come around and eat the feed too, so you may want to provide them some of the same feed. Chick Starter or All Flock can be provided for ANY age group, so no worries there if the others eat the same feed.

When the chicks get a little older, Mama will bring them to the flock and begin interacting and integrating them. Or that's how it has worked for me.

I agree, I'd let her do her thing, if she's wild/semi feral she may injure herself or the chicks if you try to enclose her.
Hens with chicks can be quite frantic if they feel threatened. Better to let her raise these, she will try her best to find a safe spot and she will keep the chicks warm.

You can support her and the chicks by providing a dish/feeder with Chick Starter or an All Flock crumble if it's winter and foraging is at a minimum.

The other members of the flock may come around and eat the feed too, so you may want to provide them some of the same feed. Chick Starter or All Flock can be provided for ANY age group, so no worries there if the others eat the same feed.

When the chicks get a little older, Mama will bring them to the flock and begin interacting and integrating them. Or that's how it has worked for me.
This is basically what I have been doing. I don't want to put too much food out in case they don't eat and it attracts predators. My biggest concern is the loss of our rooster. I'm afraid young Jess isn't quite up to the challenge of understanding/running towards the sound of an alerting hen, but he has surprised me with how he has stepped up. When Gladys first arrived she came in tow with her mom, Hank and 6 siblings! I just wish she was on the other side so I could more easily have ears and eyes on her! She is near another house that is aware, leaves her be and knows that if they hear her quite unique sqwak to run outside in case a rogue dog or hawk is after them.

Back
Top Bottom