I need to move to the country because

Here is my tiny lot....

picture1heo.png

The orange mark is where the duck hutch is.

If I can have 6 ducks in my back yard, you can have at LEAST 3!
big_smile.png

(Did I enable right?)

Quote:
Good job! My turn.

Ducks are easier to take care of. They are cuter too! You know it, or you wouldn't be in this forum... amirite?
cool.png
My duck pen is along the property line. My neighbor's back deck looks over my backyard. They like the ducks and spend time sitting out there in the late afternoon watching them. I made sure to invite everyone over when they were at their cutest stage. I kept them in the front yard with a little kiddie pool during the day and everyone wanted to come up and look! I just acted like it was the most natural thing in the world (and it is darnit!) and though I get a few strange looks, most people are happy when they hear and see my ducks/geese.

Last edited:
Eggcellent enabling!

IT just comes down to the fact that ducks are so much cuter than chickens. But I am still worried about the noise and mess. Hopefully the family will love duck eggs (I'm not looking forward to paying Whole Foods prices for a carton though) and it sounds like if I get lucky I should be able to have them instead of chooks. I'll do the quiet duck dance from now until spring. (Sorry Muscovy lovers but they just aren't for me). I should stick with the Harlequins as they are smaller than the Appleyards? I do find the latter more attractive and aren't larger ducks more friendly? I have a toddler that loves animals.

Last edited:
Okay, lest I develop a reputation for enabling... one more thing--you will probably like duck eggs. When I have served them at parties and potlucks, I have never had anyone NOT like them. HOWEVER. Some--not many, but a few--folks are allergic to the proteins in duck eggs, just like some people are allergic to the proteins in chicken eggs (and just because you are or are not allergic to one doesn't mean it will be the same for you for the other).

So just keep in mind that there is a -- slim -- chance someone in your family may not be able to eat the duck eggs (they won't kill them--just make them very sick to their stomach). If that ends up the case, personally, I'd find new homes of the ducks and get chickens.

But it's unlikely anyway. Alternately, if there is a good Asian market in your town, you could buy a half dozen (or just one--I've heard some places sell duck eggs for $1 EACH) and try them.

Good luck. I think you will enjoy having ducks.
smile.png

Some--not many, but a few--folks are allergic to the proteins in duck eggs, just like some people are allergic to the proteins in chicken eggs

Yup. I react to chicken protein. I so CAN NOT get flu shots unless I want a giant lump on my arm for a week or so​

I've also dreamed of living out in the country. It's so peaceful out there. And so beautiful. Of course I grew up a city boy so I would have to remain relatively close to the city, maybe 1 hour away?

Quote:
I grew up about an 1.5hr to the city. It was great-far enough out that most people had livestock, plenty of feed stores, quiet and laid back, etc. but you could still go to the movies and not spend all day going grocery shopping. It is a perfect distance for me.

You could be like me I live in such a small town area that when I go to town most of you would consider our city to be country.

On one of my ski trips, we had a woman from the rental car agency pick us up at what passed for an airport where we'd flown in. She mentioned that their town was growing, and even had a traffic light now ... this said about three blocks after she'd driven through the red light on the only traffic light in the county ...

big_smile.png

If I could make a living in a place like that, I'd be there. Sadly, I'm not a snowmobile mechanic.​

Back
Top Bottom