yuckyuck.gif
I wonder what she will say about this?
hide.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
I wonder what she will say about this?
hide.gif

Actually I sit out there all day and spoon feed them frozen lemonade to keep them cool. (DH is reading over my shoulder, so don't pay any attention to him when he says he wouldn't put it past me).
tongue.gif

In all seriousness, the brahmas do fine in the heat. They have a habit - I don't know whether it's just brahmas or all chickens, since brahmas are all I have - but during the heat of the summer they forage in the early morning, find a cool place to lay out in the afternoon and as the sun starts to go down they start foraging again.
I provide fans in their coop windows, freeze water in gallon milk jugs and lay them around for them to cool off next to, and just try not to disturb them too much.
Given the chance, they know how to survive with very little intervention on my part.
ETA: By the way, they hate being misted with a hose. We have an old mister system leftover from the commercial houses, that DH has threatened to hook up next to their favorite resting spot, but I doubt they'll want anything to do with it.

Last edited:
Quote:
OH WAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! whineing about 50-70 * weather when here there is still people with feet of snow still on the ground so I will tell you as I tell them when they complain about the snow.................................ready to hear it?...........................................here it is ................................................................MOVE!!!!!!!!! yep that's it just MOVE if your not happy with it....
gig.gif
other then that hush up about it
lau.gif

Here on this coast, we rarely ever hit 100*. We very rarely get to 80*. Mostly it stays in the 60's. During the summer months, we will have lots of fog, and quite often be in the 50's with fog. It feels brrr cold. Today it is nearly 60*, clouds and sun. If you go to the beach here during the summer, usually one takes their hooded sweat shirt or jacket, it will be quite cold, and if you try and swim in the ocean, you might turn purple!
Oh, and I never get snow here.

It's beautiful here today, even if it is overcast. Wearing a t-shirt. Went out to check on the chooks a bit ago. I love watching them forage in the meadows. Just hope they remember to stay out from under the cows feet.

Quote:
In the Western Cape, SA the sea is clod and you will turn purple just be touching the water.
And it too becomes cold when the evening sea-wind blows.

Quote:
OH WAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! whineing about 50-70 * weather when here there is still people with feet of snow still on the ground so I will tell you as I tell them when they complain about the snow.................................ready to hear it?...........................................here it is ................................................................MOVE!!!!!!!!! yep that's it just MOVE if your not happy with it....
gig.gif
other then that hush up about it
lau.gif

I can't move
hit.gif
monies and property goes for high prices.
hmm.png
But it would be fun!

Back
Top Bottom