I need to rehome 2 Roosters, but how?

wdg1974

Hatching
Jul 17, 2021
Hello, we bought 12 "pullets" last year and two turned out to be roosters. Now every morning around 4:30 AM the chorus of crowing begins. We are not allowed to have roosters where we live, and we took a chance and kept them, but now a neighbor has complained. So we have to find a home for them. My kids want some level of assurance that they won't become cockfighting victims, nor chicken nug's. IS there anyone in Oregon or Washington that can take in our boys?

Hello, we bought 12 "pullets" last year and two turned out to be roosters. Now every morning around 4:30 AM the chorus of crowing begins. We are not allowed to have roosters where we live, and we took a chance and kept them, but now a neighbor has complained. So we have to find a home for them. My kids want some level of assurance that they won't become cockfighting victims, nor chicken nug's. IS there anyone in Oregon or Washington that can take in our boys?
Well, I am not near you be reach out on Facebook. Many animals find homes fast.

@Mrs. K has it right on. By explicitly limiting people that may have meat consumption in mind, you are severely limiting your options. However, there are some ways that you can prevent it from happening without saying outright "no-kill" since even people who intend to use them for breeding in the short term may have to cycle them out of their flock eventually.

#1. List the exact breed, health history, temperament etc. Someone may get him just because they have been looking for a flock rooster of that particular breed for a long time.

#2. Charge a re-homing fee. While this will slow down how quickly you can get rid of him, it will prevent many people who wish to eat your rooster. Don't make it too pricey though, I have found that in the $10-15 range works best.

#3. List them in multiple places. Find your local Facebook livestock groups, or if you don't use FB post him up on Craigslist.

By the way, no one will use your average barnyard rooster for cockfighting, so that is not a concern. People who are truly engaged in the sport purchase expensive gamefowl breeds for that purpose that would beat your cockerels in an instant.

Last edited:
I had a rooster that needed to be rehomed and I contacted my vet. He happens to live in a neighborhood where each homeowner has at least 5 acres and they can own roosters. He posted on his neighborhood FB site and one of his neighbors wanted the rooster. It was a happy ending. Just a thought since veternarian's really care about animals.

Back
Top Bottom