I need to rehome 2 Roosters, but how?

@Mrs. K has it right on. By explicitly limiting people that may have meat consumption in mind, you are severely limiting your options. However, there are some ways that you can prevent it from happening without saying outright "no-kill" since even people who intend to use them for breeding in the short term may have to cycle them out of their flock eventually.

#1. List the exact breed, health history, temperament etc. Someone may get him just because they have been looking for a flock rooster of that particular breed for a long time.

#2. Charge a re-homing fee. While this will slow down how quickly you can get rid of him, it will prevent many people who wish to eat your rooster. Don't make it to pricey though, I have found that in the $10-15 range works best.

#3. List them in multiple places. Find your local Facebook livestock groups, or if you don't use FB post him up on Craigslist.

By the way, no one will use your average barnyard rooster for cockfighting, so that is not a concern. People who are truly engaged in the sport purchase expensive gamefowl breeds for that purpose that would beat your cockerels in an instant.
Thank you. I have posted on Craigslist, and had a friend post on FB. I am hoping for the best before we get fined or worse...

Thank you. I have posted on Craigslist, and had a friend post on FB. I am hoping for the best before we get fined or worse...
Can I post any more on here?? I just noticed the attach files feature so I am going to show off my boys.... I will miss them! Julio is a macho gold-sex-link (how we miss-sexed him, I will never know!), but he is the best guard chicken! Neptune is a huge, happy-go-lucky, but bashful Jersey Giant.

Attachments

• Julio 00.JPG
    Julio 00.JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Neptune 01.JPG
    Neptune 01.JPG
    697.7 KB · Views: 7
Can I post any more on here?? I just noticed the attach files feature so I am going to show off my boys.... I will miss them! Julio is a macho gold-sex-link (how we miss-sexed him, I will never know!), but he is the best guard chicken! Neptune is a huge, happy-go-lucky, but bashful Jersey Giant.
Beautiful boys! Someone will give them a good home for sure, esp. the Jersey Giant since he is pure bred.

@Mrs. K has it right on. By explicitly limiting people that may have meat consumption in mind, you are severely limiting your options. However, there are some ways that you can prevent it from happening without saying outright "no-kill" since even people who intend to use them for breeding in the short term may have to cycle them out of their flock eventually.

#1. List the exact breed, health history, temperament etc. Someone may get him just because they have been looking for a flock rooster of that particular breed for a long time.

#2. Charge a re-homing fee. While this will slow down how quickly you can get rid of him, it will prevent many people who wish to eat your rooster. Don't make it too pricey though, I have found that in the $10-15 range works best.

#3. List them in multiple places. Find your local Facebook livestock groups, or if you don't use FB post him up on Craigslist.

By the way, no one will use your average barnyard rooster for cockfighting, so that is not a concern. People who are truly engaged in the sport purchase expensive gamefowl breeds for that purpose that would beat your cockerels in an instant.
Really?! $10 - $15?! I've been selling mine for $4. šŸ˜³

Hello, we bought 12 "pullets" last year and two turned out to be roosters. Now every morning around 4:30 AM the chorus of crowing begins. We are not allowed to have roosters where we live, and we took a chance and kept them, but now a neighbor has complained. So we have to find a home for them. My kids want some level of assurance that they won't become cockfighting victims, nor chicken nug's. IS there anyone in Oregon or Washington that can take in our boys?

Our local feed store has cages where people they trust bring in their roosters to sell and they charge $5. That's where we got our wonderful boy, and why I now have 8 roosters to sell. šŸ˜… I know not all local feed stores do that, but maybe see if they have a bulletin board. The feed store didn't have room in the cages for mine but took our phone number in case someone needed a rooster for a flock, and we got a call yesterday. (One down 7 to go!) So if your feed store has a bulletin board, I'd try that. People will be going there to buy feed for an existing flock and who knows, maybe they will see your sign and decide to add a rooster to their flock.

They are beautiful! šŸ˜ Do you know what was crossed to make Julio?

Back
Top Bottom