I need to ring my 5 month old peahen , which size should she have?

Pollmadoll

Songster
5 Years
May 21, 2018
Wiltshire,UK
60AE7370-8075-41E3-B331-331072787277.jpeg
I hatched out a beautiful now five month old peahen and she is about to join a flock of 18 other peafowl. I want to identify her when she joins them? My chief worry is will she roost naturally away from predators by followong the others lead who are free range wild? So I
60AE7370-8075-41E3-B331-331072787277.jpeg
need to know what size ring to get her?

I don't have rings, but I did order some numbered zip ties. I have three peafowl that are 5 months old and I, too, want to use the ties to identify them for when I move them into another pen. I am a bit nervous about having them too loose or too tight. Any advice?

I don't have rings, but I did order some numbered zip ties. I have three peafowl that are 5 months old and I, too, want to use the ties to identify them for when I move them into another pen. I am a bit nervous about having them too loose or too tight. Any advice?
I know nothing about peafowl, but for chickens you have to watch their leg growth and change the ties.
Don't want them so loose they will come off or get caught on something and not too tight that they have to be changed frequently...if the numbers are important, that could be a problem and you might need to wait until they are full size(done growing).

Not sure this will help any, but:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/leg-banding-with-zipties.68075/

When I apply zips I tighten them around the largest part of the foot then slide it up and tighten up about another three clicks and then check again that it won't slide over the foot again. Make them as big as you can while the bird is growing. For a grown bird make them fairly snug so they don't get a toe in it and break the zip off. Using rings that are too big will surely come off as well from the toes on the opposite foot getting in it and pulling it off. I order our leg bands from National Band and Tag.
IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom