I NEED TO TRAIN MY ROO HES OUT OF CONTROL!!

Plymouthroxgal

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
He Pecked My dad and he wants to eat Him If he Keeps Misbehaving !!!! I Dont want to eat a Chicken I Love!!! I Try to Pick Him Up and Carry Him around He Keeps Struggling and Scratching. I dont want to hurt Him and each time i go into the coop he runs me out ! He will Kick Out at me and kick closer and closer the hens are behind him so what do you think hes doing Protecting or just being aggresive.Also Does anyone have a Idea i can do with out me or the Chicken getting hurt

Thanks
smile.png

You have to make the roo understand he is NOT the boss. First thing - grab him up & carry him around by his feet. He should hang upside down while you carry him around. That will take the fight out of him immediately.

Next thing is you need to handle/hold him every day. Peeps was right, you can't act scared or he won't believe you are in charge, but a couple of minutes upside down every now & then & he should be good as new.
wink.png

Maybe try going down with treats and show him that you want to cuddle him and that you are not there to hurt the ladies. Maybe in the evening when he is roosting would be a good start for you to try and pet him and pet the hens so that he sees you are not a threat.
He has to know you are boss but that you are also not going to hurt the hens.

I read that you should make sure that you are head "roo". They suggest that when food is given you take your foot and push the rooster away and let the hens eat. Keep pushing him away for a while then let him eat. Do this many times during the day also when you some up to him and the hens.

I have done this with every new flock I start and my roosters are great. They will even take bread from friends who come to visit. I haven't picked him up much but did the above thing and it has worked for me.

I did have a rescue rooster a couple of years ago and did the same with him and within a week he learned who was boss.

hope this helps.

Nope they don't choke, they just kinda go into a trance. Now thats assuming you don't leave them upside down for forever, that would kill them, but for a couple of minutes, no problem.

Try the treats and such, but as a last resort before culling, kick him across the pen, worked on one of our roosters who was being a pain in the behind.

Ducking and Covering now...

Back
Top Bottom