1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I NEED TO TRAIN MY ROO HES OUT OF CONTROL!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Plymouthroxgal, May 20, 2008.

1. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    He Pecked My dad and he wants to eat Him If he Keeps Misbehaving !!!! I Dont want to eat a Chicken I Love!!! I Try to Pick Him Up and Carry Him around He Keeps Struggling and Scratching. I dont want to hurt Him and each time i go into the coop he runs me out ! He will Kick Out at me and kick closer and closer the hens are behind him so what do you think hes doing Protecting or just being aggresive.Also Does anyone have a Idea i can do with out me or the Chicken getting hurt

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Sounds like he's protecting his hens I do know that you can't act scared of him. I hope others can give you an idea on how to handle him so you don't have to cull him.

3. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You have to make the roo understand he is NOT the boss. First thing - grab him up & carry him around by his feet. He should hang upside down while you carry him around. That will take the fight out of him immediately.

Next thing is you need to handle/hold him every day. Peeps was right, you can't act scared or he won't believe you are in charge, but a couple of minutes upside down every now & then & he should be good as new.[​IMG]

5. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I thought they could choke if they were held upside down?

Ellie

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Maybe try going down with treats and show him that you want to cuddle him and that you are not there to hurt the ladies. Maybe in the evening when he is roosting would be a good start for you to try and pet him and pet the hens so that he sees you are not a threat.
    He has to know you are boss but that you are also not going to hurt the hens.

7. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
  8. sueg6255

sueg6255 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    I read that you should make sure that you are head "roo". They suggest that when food is given you take your foot and push the rooster away and let the hens eat. Keep pushing him away for a while then let him eat. Do this many times during the day also when you some up to him and the hens.

I have done this with every new flock I start and my roosters are great. They will even take bread from friends who come to visit. I haven't picked him up much but did the above thing and it has worked for me.

I did have a rescue rooster a couple of years ago and did the same with him and within a week he learned who was boss.

hope this helps.

9. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Nope they don't choke, they just kinda go into a trance. Now thats assuming you don't leave them upside down for forever, that would kill them, but for a couple of minutes, no problem.

Try the treats and such, but as a last resort before culling, kick him across the pen, worked on one of our roosters who was being a pain in the behind.

Ducking and Covering now...

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think the choking thing applies to chicks, as they do not have the same kind of control that an older chicken has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by