I need your help!! Lasagna related....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by max13077, Dec 23, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have all(17) of my relatives coming over for Christmas dinner. I was informed that I will be making the lasagna. After spending a couple hours going over recipes, I now know I need some help.

What makes a great pan of lasagna? Anybody wanna share with me?

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Do you want traditional lasagna or doesn't it matter? I have an awesome recipe for Lazy Lasagna!

3. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    As the "Italian" member of the family that's always what I'm asked to bring, too! I add eggs to the ricotta and it makes it a bit richer. My grandmother used to make it that way and I really think it makes a big difference.

Lasagna

1 lb Lasagna noodles
    1 lb Ground Beef
    Olive Oil
    2 Eggs
    8 oz Mozzerella, shredded
    2 lbs Ricotta
    4 Cups Spaghetti Sauce
    Grated Parmesan Cheese

Prepare the lasagna as directed on the package. Drain and lay flat on waxed paper until needed.
    Brown the beef in oil and add the spaghetti sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally.
    Spoon off any excess oil added to the spaghetti sauce.
    Mix the ricotta, mozzerella and eggs well.
    Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce into a 13 X 9 inch dish.
    Layer with lasagna, cheese mixture and sauce.
    Repeat the layers, ending with the lasagna. Top with sauce.
    Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and cover with aluminum foil.
    Bake at 375* for 20 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
    Enjoy!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    1lb ground beef
    32oz jar of spagetti sauce (get the plain kind and doctor it- see spices below)
    1.5 c water
    2c (15oz) small curd cottage cheese (can be low fat)
    3c shredded mozzerella or monterey jack (any of the white cheeses works. Tastes better if you blend two or more)
    1/2c shredded or grated parmesan cheese (the real stuff, not the green can)
    2 eggs
    1/4c fresh chopped parsley (optional)
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    8 oz uncooked lasagna (you use uncooked even if it's not marketed as the uncooked kind. The amount of sauce and cooking time makes it work.)

Spices for sauce-
    minced onion
    minced garlic
    oregano
    basil
    thyme
    Italian seasoning
    crushed red pepper
    dried parsley
    garlic powder

Mix sauce and add spices to taste. Do it the day before to give time for the flavor to sink in (keep in mind when adding spices!). Store capped tightly in jar in refridgerator overnight. Brown meat and drain fat off. Add sauce and water. simmer 10 minutes. In mixing bowl combine the rest of ingredients except for lasagna. Pour 1 cup meat sauce in bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Layer 1/3 of lasagna noodles over sauce. Cover with 1.5 cups of sauce. Spread half of cheese mixture over this. Repeat lasagna, suace and cheese. Top with layer of lasagna and sauce. (I like to sprinkle same shredded cheese on top, but that's just me.) Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

This recipe is actually fairly easy to make (and I'm not really a cook). It is amazingly tasty!
    Good luck!

5. max13077

Bec, I'll go with the "Any" category now!![​IMG]

6. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:just about the same receipe except I add some of the parm cheese to the ricotta with the eggs and mozzerella it makes it stiffer and spreads well

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Ok, well here goes nothing!

This is a recipe that has been in my family for a while now. I use it because it is just easier and faster. You can make a lot of it. Just get some tin foil baking "dishes" at the dollar store and you are good to go!

Like I said, it isn't your traditional layered lasagna!

Lazy Lasagna

You will need a 13x9 inch Baking dish

Ingredients:
    Extra Wide Egg Noodles
    2Lbs Ricotta of your choice
    1 lb Mozzarella (I prefer Polly-o)
    Parmesan Cheese (use to your taste)
    Spaghetti Sauce of your choice
    Salt and Pepper (Use to your taste)
    1 Large Egg

Preparation Time:
    15-20 Minutes
    Pre-heat oven at 425

Boil Noodles 7-8 minutes
    Shred Mozzarella
    Drain your noodles, put back into the pot
    Add your Mozzarella, Ricotta, Parmesan, salt, pepper and egg
    Pour a small amount of sauce into the bottom of the baking dish
    Pour Noodle and Cheese mixture into the Baking dish
    Cover with sauce
    Sprinkle top with cheese if you want!

Bake for 30-40 minutes or Until Bubbly
    Let Cool for 10-15 minutes

This recipe is very easy to alter to your liking. If you like meat in your lasagna, add some meat!
    You can add any other spices or garnishes that you like...I am a plain-Jane kinda girl, so mine is just cheese, noodles and sauce!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  8. max13077

Thank you everybody!!!! [​IMG]

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I vote for the lazy method. Otherwise you will be spending hours you don't have making it. You can also do that with spaghetti noodles (or even spaghetti squash "noodles").

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by