I need your help/suggestions on how to add to my coop- must have more!

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Ok. I admit. I'm a complete addict. My 5 barred rock hens are laying - and I'm LOVING it! I cannot keep up with the demand from family/friends for eggs! We took them (the eggs
wink.png
) camping with us this weekend, and they were a complete hit!

I want to add 7 more hens - then I'll have a dozen. My current hen house has room for 6 hens...that's my problem. How can I add to my existng coop to make more room?

Here is what I have so far...view from the side:
DSC_0027Large.jpg

View of the front:
DSC_0028Large.jpg

Making the run bigger is no problem at all...that will be easy to augment...and the girls free-range much of the day. My problem is what to build? How to build it?

It needs to be simple (we aren't very handy people) and it can't be too expensive (or my husband will KILL me!). Even something I could attatch to the back of the existing coop...kind of like a chicken duplex.

Any/all input and pictures would be so appreciated!

Last edited:
My suggestion is kind of like a question? What is your original coup? Can you get another and open the walls or make and opening between them, connecting the two somehow? Or like you say, have a Chicken Duplex, Two Coops? Thats what I would do. It looks like the Lowes Playhouse - or something along those lines, Perhaps you could post a Want Ad on Craigslist making an Offer?? People need money sometimes, you could hit the jackpot? Less than new...and it may match??

With the second coop being similar, as you say, the run can just open next to it, although more ground space would be benefial as well.

Sorry I'm not much help....
Tina/tfpets

why not build another coop 4 foo by eight foot on the opposite end of the run? 4'x8' would be about the right size for 7 birds.

Back
Top Bottom