I never wanted to mow it in the first place.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Jun 1, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Ready for Less Lawn? Each weekend about 54 million Americans mow their lawns, using 800 million gallons of gas per year and producing tons of air pollutants. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, a traditional gas powered lawn mower produces as much air pollution as 43 new cars each being driven 12,000 miles. Smaller lawns and more green space with trees and shrubs would help control pollution, save energy, and save money... AND SAVE CHICKENS!

http://www.lawnreform.org/

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'd keep the big lawn and get a horse.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'd get goats, but Anne's too lazy to milk them.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    hahaha try telling my husband we need less lawn and more trees. It don't work, lol.

5. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I keep telling my DH the more flower gardens I have, the less lawn he has to mow! LOL! If I had a small lot, it would all be garden, no mowing!

But I have 11 acres... I planted alot of pines 20 yrs ago so that cut down where we need to mow... we only mow by the road, along the drive and then a patch around the house. Some of it will be pasture and mown naturally! [​IMG]

6. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I have lambs and geese for the lawns... goats eat the scrub type material and not much gress unfortunately. That being said they are just babies and its taking them a while to learn to graze fast enough! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Betsy says, "Now you're talkin'!" (OK, so she's a mule)

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Food, not lawns!

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I am amused by the lawn-junkies in our neighborhood. They would trim the grass with scissors if you took away their mowers. One dude even mows his front lawn with a push mower because the big mower compacted it too much.

Our front yard was all white clover in bloom last week. It was beautiful and looked like snow. DH told me to take a picture, because as soon as we had a dry afternoon he was mowing it down. He's much less lawn-addict than he used to be.
    When we met his lawn was a perfect field of green grass, and when we'd argue I'd threaten to release dandelion seeds everywhere. He still mourns the loss of that yard. And isn't quite sure that weeds really are wildflowers...

He says no goats unless I trade in the cats. [​IMG]

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    When I lived in Austin, TX, the big craze was for xeriscaping. The local columnist at the paper, who was a BBQ friend, actually wrote an article about us - because we believed in "zeroscaping". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by