I now own a silver laced wyandotte (sp?)

cashela

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
South Eastern NH
So I don't post much but a year and a half ago I got some turkeys and what turned out to be a decrepit rooster. Then I added a small black chicken. My flock was complete for me, I had two turkeys and the rooster and chicken. Well one turkey died and then this year I replaced him with a Narragansett tom who is just gorgeous. I thought my rooster was overcoming his issues and he hung in there. Well about a week ago his weird leg issue came back and I found him dead on Friday morning. So happens that I was going to the Deerfield Fair with my mom that morning. I came home with a Silver Laced Wyandotte. She is pretty small and that is why I picked her, I wanted something small. I'm not a big fan of the larger breeds since I got my little black chicken. I don't know why.

I do have a question as I am really not up to speed all the way on poultry
smile.png
This was all just sort of a whim a year ago when I read about a chicken swap and then found this website. The bird I got is young, now I saw another wyandotte at a different fair yesterday and she was pretty big. I was a little disappointed that I may have purchased a large bird . Now I had thought that I had seen "hens" marked on some of the tags at the fair that I bought my new chicken at. So are there small Wyandottes and large ones?

I really didn't go to the fair expecting to come home with a bird but my mom bought her for me, she said my other chicken would be lonely
smile.png
My mom is an enabler.
smile.png

I have discovered that for such a tiny little bird she makes a LOT of noise. My turkey's are pretty quiet except in the spring when my tom is gobbling. These chickens, they are another story. Yesterday morning that little bird was making quite a racket! Hope the neighbors don't mind...

The difference in size between a bantam and a LF is apparent pretty early on so you should be able to tell. Didn't the person you bought it from say whether it was abantam or not?

I got a pair of SLW's and they are big, but gentle and quiet eggcept when they are doing the egg layin sing-a-long. My biggest one likes to perch on my arm and stare into my eyes. They are the sweetest birds in my flock.

no, the person selling them wasn't at the fair. There was just a tag that said, Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet. She seems pretty tiny, so I am guessing she is a bantam. YEAH
smile.png

Ehh, even if she doesn't turn out to be tiny, I'll still love her
smile.png
She really is a beautiful bird. This was the first time I've ever seen one
smile.png

I think you'll love her reguardless of her size i have a LF SLW and I LOVE her she is so sweet and squats really quick when she sees me my Columbian Wyandotte is a pain in my tookus she hasn't started laying yet so she is a moody little fart but i love the breed and they are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom