I ordered my ducks!!! Maybe too many???? Housing??

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
I think I may have gotten a little carried away...

I just ordered from Holderreads... all show quality:

1 blue runner
1 white runner
2 fawn and white runners
6 gold welsh harlequins
6 silver harlequins.

And then I got to thinking about housing... just how big would this guys need? They will be in with the chickens (24) in an area that is about 100 by 70 feet. I planned on closing them up at night because of all the critters.

if 4 feet per bird is average.. then 16x4 is 64 feet which is approx 8x8. Is that right?

Does anyone have SIMPLE plans for something this size.. and I mean SIMPLE.. ???

They aren't coming until Mid May so have some time to work on it.. but would like it all done before they get here.

Yup! Carried away for sure! They need about 5 sq feet per bird. Hopefully you will figure this out before next winter.........
cool.png

See, this is what I get for posting at 2am... duh.. not thinking straight..

So I plan on having three groups of pens... one with runners, one with GWH, and one with SWH. I would really like to try to breed the harlequins, and the runners are for the kids to show with 4H (with the alpacas and chickens.. sheesh).....

So I already have this area fenced off like I said about 100 x70 ft... if I had three groups of chickens with 6,6, and 4 in each group.. how big an area, and how big a house?

If I am planning on putting up at night... does that affect how big the housing has to be? I saw those pics of the chain link dog runs, but 6x6 or even 10x6 isn't big enough with a house is it??? And probably way more expensive to fence off than just using the existing fence and adding Tposts and wire (can you use chicken wire??)...

Lots of questions, but appreciate the input.... I am counting the days till they get here
love.gif

I concur on the chain link. Look on craigslist, and you should be able to get a dog kennel for around $100 or so. Here are the specs you want to look for:

10 x 10 (or similar)
Panels (versus wire you have to stretch around posts, which are a PAIN to put together and have more pieces--panels are simple and quick to put up)
6' high (this is for your convenience--you want to be able to walk in and out, and you're going to need to cover the top--more on that shortly)
Gate wide enough to get a wheelbarrow through (I have one with a narrow gate and it's a pain at pen-cleaning time--the others have wider gates and are much easier)

Used condition is fine, but look for missing links and such. If it's a good deal, don't let it ruin the deal for you--just be aware of them because you're going to want to cover them with hardware wire or similar.

Once it's home and set up, you'll want to cover the top with wire. Use boards or bars across the top to stabilize the wire, and secure everything with zip ties. This is to keep raccoons, hawks, and other flying/climbing predators out. Then you'll want to cover the bottom 1-1/2 to 2 feet with 1/4 or 1/2 inch hardware mesh. This is to keep clever raccoons from reaching through the chain link and grabbing a sleeping duck. They will literally eat the heads off of them. I know this from experience, and it's a gruesome thing to wake up to.

You may also wish to cover the bottom with wire and then cover it with mulch, but it depends on the prevalence of digging predators in your area. Alternately, you can run a single line of electric wire around the bottom, about six or eight inches from the ground, to deter potential diggers.

For young ducks or if your climate is brutal, you can put a dog house or similar in the pen to help them stay warm.

Good luck! You'll love them, but they are messy and do require some prep. Once you're set up, though, they're not much trouble at all. Enjoy!

Oops--I started posting and got interrupted, and should have checked to see new posts before hitting send. Anyway, whatever fencing is working for your chickens should also work for your ducks. If you just need to separate them within the fenced area, you can use something very simple--chicken wire, or whatever--ducks don't often challenge a barrier, so it doesn't even have to be very high. Four square feet each is fine, and if you're closing them up at night they only need a couple square feet each at night, especially if you plan to not have food and water in the enclosure.

I've kept ducks out of garden areas using 1-foot-high decorative gardening panels that I can easily step over. You need more than that for their full-time quarters, especially in the spring when they'll want to get to each other for breeding purposes, but it still doesn't have to be much.

Hope that helps... Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom