I ordered Welsh Harlequins... **Updated Pics***

I got a mixed batch of ducks last year from the humane society, one of them started out looking like it was going to be WH, and turned out to be a silver appleyard. same general colering as the first WH drake here: http://holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/welsh_page/welsh_page.htm but with russet chevrons on his side and belly feathers... just a stunning duck! wish we could have kept him, but moving half way across the country made that impractical.
I'll be interested to see what these turn out to be.
the page above says they're derived from a khaki line mutations (reverting to a wild color patern it seems), and the base color pattern is similar to a rouen, just more diluted. I wonder if they might sometimes show duckling patterns that mimic the wild-type rouen pattern, or the all-over-tan of the khakis?

don't know, just entertainging some speculation. keep us posted!

I'll try and post pics once a week so we can figure out what they are!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I don't really date these things, and someone else may have more precise info, but here's what I generally expect to see: on the rouens, I think juvenile feathers in 2-3 months, the drakes and hens look more or less the same, then'll get their adult color feathers after that. full size will full color plumage by 6 months or so. laying sometimes as early as 4 months, but sometimes 6, and if they're late-season ducklings, probably not till spring regardless of their age, especially in colder climates. as a rule, rouens and khakis are too heavy to do any real flying, but I've had a few that didn't read the manual and regularly flew over 4-5' fences. they don't *really* fly, as in migrating, but some of them can get off the ground. mallards, on the other hand, actually fly.

our ducks spend a lot of time reving their engines on the runway but the only ones that can count on a takeoff are the mallards.

Quote:
I don't really date these things, and someone else may have more precise info, but here's what I generally expect to see: on the rouens, I think juvenile feathers in 2-3 months, the drakes and hens look more or less the same, then'll get their adult color feathers after that. full size will full color plumage by 6 months or so. laying sometimes as early as 4 months, but sometimes 6, and if they're late-season ducklings, probably not till spring regardless of their age, especially in colder climates. as a rule, rouens and khakis are too heavy to do any real flying, but I've had a few that didn't read the manual and regularly flew over 4-5' fences. they don't *really* fly, as in migrating, but some of them can get off the ground. mallards, on the other hand, actually fly.

our ducks spend a lot of time reving their engines on the runway but the only ones that can count on a takeoff are the mallards.

Thank you!

Quote:

Thank you!

Didn't you have some eggs hatching a couple of days ago or do i have you mixed up with someone else?

Quote:
Thank you!

Didn't you have some eggs hatching a couple of days ago or do i have you mixed up with someone else?

I think that was me
smile.png

Quote:

I think that was me
smile.png

Well don't keep us in suspence what happened?

I contacted the seller and he said that he doesn't know what happened. He is going to ship out more eggs sometime in the next week
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom