I picked up my chicken & as I held her she had real watery diarrhea.To calm her down I held her on her back & fluid came out her beak. What could be

SunshineGal

Songster
Aug 17, 2018
I picked up my chicken who had been being bullied & as I held her she had real watery diarrhea.To calm her down I held her on her back, as I had heard to do that, & fluid came out her beak. What could be happening with her?

First of all, it would be best not to try things you "heard about" on the internet from dubious sources. Laying a chicken on its back can cause aspiration of fluid that may be forced by this action to back up into the chicken's throat. You could end up with dead chicken when it chokes.

It sounds like your chicken could have a crop disorder if the crop is full of fluid, as opposed to a normal golf ball size clump of solid food. Watery poop can also be a symptom of a crop disorder as only fluids are making their way through the digestive system due to the crop not emptying properly.

However, it takes 12 to 24 hours to confirm some crop disorders. You need to check the crop in the morning before a chicken drinks or eats anything. If the crop is full in the morning, nothing is being digested, so the crop stays full. This can cause starvation over a period of time.

One crop disorder can be diagnosed immediately, and that would be impacted crop. It would feel over-full and hard and lumpy, and could have a rancid or sour smell due to it fermenting and growing bacteria.
A chicken with impacted crop and often a yeasty crop will often do neck swivels, sort of like a snake does when curled up and threatening a predator.

Here is more information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

First of all, it would be best not to try things you "heard about" on the internet from dubious sources. Laying a chicken on its back can cause aspiration of fluid that may be forced by this action to back up into the chicken's throat. You could end up with dead chicken when it chokes.

It sounds like your chicken could have a crop disorder if the crop is full of fluid, as opposed to a normal golf ball size clump of solid food. Watery poop can also be a symptom of a crop disorder as only fluids are making their way through the digestive system due to the crop not emptying properly.

However, it takes 12 to 24 hours to confirm some crop disorders. You need to check the crop in the morning before a chicken drinks or eats anything. If the crop is full in the morning, nothing is being digested, so the crop stays full. This can cause starvation over a period of time.

One crop disorder can be diagnosed immediately, and that would be impacted crop. It would feel over-full and hard and lumpy, and could have a rancid or sour smell due to it fermenting and growing bacteria.
A chicken with impacted crop and often a yeasty crop will often do neck swivels, sort of like a snake does when curled up and threatening a predator.

Here is more information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Wow! Thank you for the information. Guess I won't be holding her on her back again. I had heard that from a few people that own chickens. Anyway, I clicked on the link you sent and watched a man massage the crop. I'm not sure that's what's wrong with her cause she's eating, drinking, and very active. Not lethargic at all. So I guess we'll have to keep an eye on her. She was getting bullied too. So with all that is there anth else it could be? Stress maybe?

Back
Top Bottom