I placed an order for my first meaties!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by itsy, May 26, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I just placed my first meatie order! Red Broiler (straight run) through Ideal. I only ordered 14 birds (I know, small potatos!) [​IMG] I figure I need to start somewhere. AND... if they throw in some freebee males - I could eat them too.

I'm looking forward to this new adventure! I've been reading so much about your meat birds and watching so many videos... I'm dreaming about them! [​IMG]

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Congrats. I was really debating, but I went ahead and ordered 25 Cornish X and 6 Broadbreasted Bronze turkeys from the local feed store. It will be an adventure. They come some day next week, probably Thursday since Monday is Memorial Day.

3. ngamtnman

ngamtnman Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    North GA
    I just placed my first order for Cornish Xs yesterday but they won't be here until early September. I will have a lot of regular breeds to process so I'm trying to work it out to where I can do them all at once. I look forward to it though, I've been reading on here a lot the past few hours, lol.

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    LOL, if you have them during the summer you will be the hit to anyone downwind LOL! Good luck!!

5. ddcljc12

ddcljc12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    New Alexandria
    Who do you get your meat birds from,, we have been looking into that also and was just about to buy from happy cackle, but I wanted to do some checking first, also do you get them vaccinated??

Lori

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It's sure a long way to be shipped in the summer, all the way to NJ. I hope they do well.

7. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Lori, Ideal is one of the sponsors on this site. I ordered them online through their hatchery. I didn't pay to have them vaccinated. I live on a large property and I'm ordering a small amount of birds. Their tractor will be moved daily, so I'm not as concerned with vaccinations. I also plan on feeding medicated in the beginning.

Thanks for all of the replies, y'all.

I hope that it's not too hot to ship them. Ideal didn't mention any sort of concern through our emails.

I can't wait to record and photograph my adventure. I'm sure I'll be posting a bit about them!

8. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I've had good luck with Ideal. They're good people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by