I posted this in the wrong forum I think, so will try here

rlhagan56

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Out West
My broody had some eggs ready to hatch any day now, she is the top hen in the flock. This morning I went to check if any had hatched and found her in another nest box on other just laid eggs and her own nest of eggs were ice cold! I put her in front of the nest and she climbed back on them. I'm so upset and exasperated! Will they hatch now? Should I just give up and throw them out?

My broody had some eggs ready to hatch any day now, she is the top hen in the flock. This morning I went to check if any had hatched and found her in another nest box on other just laid eggs and her own nest of eggs were ice cold! I put her in front of the nest and she climbed back on them. I'm so upset and exasperated! Will they hatch now? Should I just give up and throw them out?
You may want to candle. I’m sorry this happened. Try to put her back, depending on how long she was off some may survive.

Don't give up on them, they might just hatch a day later.

Next time separate the broody and her clutch, so she will not be able to change the nests.

I just checked, I do that once a day. Yesterday I put 3 of her eggs under another hen that decided to be broody,( she hatched some out last year), because the 1st broody had 10 eggs. So the white egg, a Leghorn/ Mottled Java cross was there. Now there is one green egg pipped under her, 2 more green ones to go and 3 Mottled Java brown eggs. But the white egg disappeared! No sign of it, I even pulled the hen out to look under her wings and feathers. That coop and run have chicken wire, hardware cloth over it, a covered top, then deer net over that. It's buried 18 inches in the ground, I have old garden blocks around that. So nothing got in there. It's wet and raining so I would find digging as I looked, nothing. The other hens are clean, she's boss hen anyway. I just cannot figure out where it went? my husband and I looked and searched all over, no sign of it. No shell bits, nothing! I am so upset and hate mysteries.

Darn it! The chick opened a quarter sized and died. A lavender Ameraucana. I picked more shell off and it was moist, good position, so I don't know what happened.

Back
Top Bottom