I predilled- screws STILL won't go all the way in!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joletabey, Jul 17, 2010.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I have to use 3 1/2 inch nails on the beams for the roof as they are 2 x 3 studs. A few went in all the way, the rest wouldn't go. I took them out and drilled into the wood- they STILL will not to all the way down. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to get a longer drill bit and drill all the way through the stud?

2. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I'm not thinking that you need a longer drill bit. If you are using a cordless drill/driver, the problem is most likely an underpowered battery. If you have a corded drill, chuck the driver bit into that. It should work.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

What kind of nails are you using? Why not use deck screws? Or Drywalll screws? They will go into just about anything!!!

4. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Not understanding...are you using nails or screws? You can't "drill" a nail. More info please.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    OK, this is how airheaded I am. I AM using screws, meant to ask if I should switch to nails. The only drill I have is a battery powered one. I just charged it up today. It handles other size screws fine, and yesterday I got in a few 3 1/2 inchers- I had to push, but I got them in. Today, nada.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I'd see if I could borrow a corded drill if you are having that much of a problem. The battery powered ones are just not as good. Make sure you're using the right type of screws as well.

8. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    A quick easy solution to your problem is to pick up a cheap wax toilet bowl ring at the hardware store and before you use a fastener stick the tip into the wax ring first. Then when you drive the fastener the wax will lube it as it goes in. Guaranteed to fix your problem...Good luck!

9. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    A corded drill would help but that may increase e likelihood of stripping the head if you are not careful. What size drill bit are you using for pre drilling? I found increasing the diameter slightly made it worlds easier without compromising biting strength of the screw.

10. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    I know this doesn't help but an impact driver is the way to go. I got one for christmas and its awesome at setting screws. Just be careful with using drywall screws because the heads can break off easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by