I put 40 feeder fish in their pond....UPDATE-One survived!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensioux, Sep 23, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Now that's fun to watch. It's really funny when there's only one left and they are struggling to catch it.

UPDATE-Yesterday afternoon there was one rather large orange and white goldfish still swimming around in the pond. I felt so sorry for it yet was amazed at it's survival instinct that I plucked it out of the pond, put it in a fishbowl and bought goldfish food. It survived 2 1/2 days and thru 10 ducks. It deserves a second chance. Now I need an appropriate name. Suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I think it's funny when the dark colored ones hide at the bottom and the ducks can't see them through the dirty water they created. It's great fun to watch the duck scoop up those little fishies.

3. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Got twenty five.

In less than ten seconds there was nothing but a couple shiny scales floating to the bottom of their bowl. [​IMG]

I kind of feel bad for the fish, but it's how 'life' works supposedly. [​IMG]

4. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Got twenty five.

In less than ten seconds there was nothing but a couple shiny scales floating to the bottom of their bowl. [​IMG]

I kind of feel bad for the fish, but it's how 'life' works supposedly. [​IMG]

5. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    EDIT: Ugh, internet's lagging.

Sorry about the double post.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  6. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    what do you pu in it for them to eat. like minnows

7. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    what do you use? like feeder guppies or goldfish from the pet store? I would love to try it! Must be hilarious to watch!

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I LOVE to do this! My guys go nuts!

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You just go to the pet store and get a bag of feeder goldfish. They are usually around 10ยข each.

I think it's funny when the dark colored ones hide at the bottom and the ducks can't see them through the dirty water they created.

That is how I ended up with a 6" long "koi" fish! LOL

That was one quick, smart feeder fish. He has been living in the pond since February. We named him Moby [​IMG]

10. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    haha last year I put 2 small goldfish in my grandmas small garden pond. I was giving my tank away and we didnt think that they would last long. they are now 6inches+ and there are tons of babies. They gave 50 away last year and it made barely a dent in their population.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by