I put my order in today

Guinea Goonie

Roosting Elsewhere
12 Years
Sep 2, 2008
Peace Valley in Howell County Missouri
Well, I found a place in town that will order rare breeds.
The nursery will be empty in about 2 weeks and Just In Time !!

I ordered:

5 sexed pullets in Partridge Rocks

5 str Red Shouldered Yokohamas

5 str Mottled Houdens

5 str Speckled Sussex

5 str Saipan Jungle Fowl

5 str (last but not least) Lakenvelder

WOW, what have I done.

Quote:
The same darn thing the rest of us are doing
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

Just so you can be prepared, the Yokahamas are gamefowl and so are the Saipans. Most of the "game" has been bred outta them, but they can still be quite aggressive to other birds. The Saipans are the major area of concern as they are huge and will dominate the flock. Make sure you have sufficient room for keeping peace.

Quote:
Yes, thank you. The Saipans will be sold off long before they go to the main barn. The Yokahamas will only have the hens introduced into the main flock. The roosters will be sold off.

I paid less than 20 bucks for each 5 chick order and I will get this in the local auction for each bird when they reach the point of full feather.

These two breeds are for fun and experience. The partridge rocks are the ones I really want.

The Houdans, the sussex and the Lakenvelder will be carefully picked to introduce into the main flock. I really like the Houdans.

BTW, I am relocating 25 birds from my main flock to a person here in MO that will take them as their only birds. There are some decent layers and nice roos.

Rare breed chickens go for good money when they are fully feathered out. Next year I will pick out different rare breed chickens. The hatchery only has rare breeds that they know will be bought.

I have enough layers and roos, some of them favorites. These guys are for education.

Quote:
That is not always true about the Saipans. True, they have a tendency in their past to be aggressive, but that's not always the case. We've had small flocks of Saipans at times before, and all have been extremely sweet. In fact, our 'lead' chicken is a Saipan, and she is as sweet as sweet can be. She is the only one in our flock we can pick up and love on without concern. Also, she gets along great with the bantams we've owned in the past. She is currently BFFs with our Silkie roo, Roslen.
smile.png

Our Saipan rooster was just like any other rooster. Protective of the flock, but he would never attack us. He 'showed off,' yeah, but not once did he injure us in any way.

They are great protectors against predators as well. You should see them go up against our dogs who get in their way.
gig.gif
They are beasts!

Not trying to get in an argument or anything, it's just that Saipans constantly seem to be categorized 'bad rep,' and it's not always so. They are my favorite breed.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom