Sort of frustrated with Hoover's Hatchery, but giving them another chance.

Late last year I put in an order with Hoover's Hatchery for 22 Partridge Chanteclers. 15 pullets and 7 cockerels. My plan was to keep nearly all the pullets, minus any that had obvious genetic defects, and keep the two best cockerels for breeding purposes wow butchering the remaining five. I live in the same town as cackle hatchery, and if they carried Partridge Chanteclers I just pick them up from there in person. But alas, no one near me has this breed so shipping chicks was the next option. I place an order to be shipped on January 31st, they arrived two days later. Unfortunately, and I should have planned for this, there were four dead and three would fade over the next 48 hours. I contacted Hoovers and they promptly refunded the seven that it died. At that point I was down to 15 birds. 2 weeks later 2 chicks escaped and a field rat finish them off leaving me with 13 birds. My fault.

Here's where it gets frustrating. Now that I've had the birds for almost 5 weeks, and they've started to grow quite a bit, I realized that a number of them were not partridge chanteclers. 5 of the remaining 13 birds have single or pea combs, instead of the fusion combs chanteclers have.
I contacted Hoover's Hatchery again and they promptly refunded me and I ordered another 15 after they apologize for the mix-up. But how do you have a mix-up like that? I did some digging on this website and found someone else that ordered this breed last year and ended up with a decent number of Partridge rocks.
Anyways, I guess I'm just venting a little bit. A month of feed into a couple of dozen birds really isn't much. It's $15 in the grand scheme of things. But now I'm also feeding chickens of a breed that I'm not sure what they are and didn't plan on raising them in the first place.
hoover's is terrible :mad:

But tractor supply gets their chicks and ducks from hoovers
I thought that was the point: same actual source of the chicks or ducklings, but Tractor Supply gets to deal with any that die while being shipped. I can see that as a possible benefit.

On the other hand, having them shipped directly to you from Hoovers will mean TSC cannot mis-label them or mix them with anything else, so you have a better chance of getting the kind you think you are getting.

Back
Top Bottom