I REALIZE THIS IS A POULTRY SITE BUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody made a very wise statement on that other post..."Rehabilitate the dogs, Euthanize the owners". For me, that said it all in one simple sentance. I also dont like to see dogs killed because of idiot owners....but OTOH...you can not have dogs that have killed other animals just running around loose on your street either...My choice would be to call animal control...every time they are loose..and do what the OP is doing..filing a lawsuit aganist the owner..maybe getting hit in the wallet will wake him up?....but either way..poor chickens AND poor dogs....
sad.png

Quote:
I think the problem stems from the lack of funding for animal control authorities in certain areas. If there were better pay for ACO officers, and better funding for programs, there would be more criminal penalties enforced for owners who DO NOT contain their dogs properly.

If I called the Sheriff regarding a stray dog on my land they would tell me to kill it. That's how they solve the problem here.

BTW....I don't shoot dogs.

Unfortunately the actions or rather non-actions of the dog owners that has sealed the fate of these dogs. They are now documented Vicious dogs because of this attack and previous attacks. You are right it is not the dogs fault, It is the owners. Unfortunately in Our Society we have deemed it acceptable to kill the dogs and merely tell the owners "Bad people" pay up! All we can do is keep our own Dogs safe and promote educating people about proper control of their dogs. This whole situation is the fault of those DUMB A*# Neighbors!

MY Pit mix got in my coop 2 days ago and killed my best hen. She was able to push open a seem in the wire that I had apparently NOT secured well. D#$% Dog, DUMB chicken Mama.
While I was very unhappy with her (she got a few cracks on the hind end and a sound scolding) She is a dog. Chickens are chickens and we eat em!

I have 4 large dogs-2 dobermann, 1 boxer, and 1 pit mix. We have 3 acre fenced yard plus invisible fence system and end of driveway is gated. We take keeping our dogs safely confined for their protection and yours seriously.

Last edited:
Normally I'd agree with the OP, and I've felt that way before when reading stuff here, but if you're talking about the post I think you are, she mentioned that the dogs have also attacked other dogs and are generally out of control and violent. And iirc rhodesian ridgebacks are BIG dogs. And that the owners have paid for damages in the past but made no attempt to change their level of supervision or control of the dogs. It sounds like the dogs are going to either have to be taken away or put down for safety reasons unrelated to poultry. IMO, anyway.

Especially if it's a dog who has a history of violent behavior twd multiple species. Sorry, I've got four kids and if the dog is randomly wandering around attacking things, it needs to be elsewhere or put down. JMO.

Quote:

Quote:
Hi..i am not trying to argue with you..but....just because a dog attacks another animal does not mean it will ever attack a human...unless there has been aggression shown from these dogs to a human in the past..they are probably just being dogs...if one of my dogs got out in the yard when the birds were out.....well, i'd have some dead birds....will my dogs attack me?...highly unlikely...(you can NEVER say never though..), because my dogs respect humans, but ....they would love to chase and kill any small flighty, squawking thing running around...its just their nature...
idunno.gif

Small, flighty, squawking thing running around sounds like a perfect description of a toddler to ME.

Quote:

no sandra...they KNOW the differance between a human and an animal...any..no toddler will be left unsupervised in a yard anyways..or they shouldnt be anyway...they DO know the differance..honest..unless they are prone to attacking humans...then its a very differant story...

I some what agree with the OP and disagree. with domesticated animals I call animal control. I call wildlife fed for hawk problems but they cant do anything so I shelter for the birds in case of hawks or any other flying pred. But with foxes, coyotes, bears and other preds I shoot to kill. If you dont they will come back every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom