I realize this question has been asked hundreds of times, but the sticky thread didn't help. Why are

They do not have mites or lice, but they all seem healthy enough except maybe 1. What would the hot pepper do?

So the one that isn't acting as healthy, what is it doing? I personally wouldn't treat them with Corid unless you have a reason to think they are ill. It's normal for adult chickens to have low amounts of cocci in their system and a healthy bird has no reason to worry.

edit to add:
okay so this was kinda bugging me so I tried to do some research. It's hard to find information on this illness in adult birds lol, but I did find this:

Symptoms:

- Passing blood in their poo.

- Drop in egg production.

- Droopy, hunched, withdrawn chickens with ruffled feathers.

- Not feeding or drinking.

So although drop in egg laying is a sign it looks like you should be seeing others signs as well.

Last edited:
So the one that isn't acting as healthy, what is it doing? I personally wouldn't treat them with Corid unless you have a reason to think they are ill. It's normal for adult chickens to have low amounts of cocci in their system and a healthy bird has no reason to worry.

edit to add:
okay so this was kinda bugging me so I tried to do some research. It's hard to find information on this illness in adult birds lol, but I did find this:

Symptoms:

- Passing blood in their poo.

- Drop in egg production.

- Droopy, hunched, withdrawn chickens with ruffled feathers.

- Not feeding or drinking.

So although drop in egg laying is a sign it looks like you should be seeing others signs as well.

Good point. These are 24 week old pullets.

Blood in poo is only present in 2 of the 9 types of cocci.

Cocci is sooooo confusing, I'm so blessed my chickens ever had it.

A friend had a sick Hen. She was a year and a half old. I did not think she had Cocci, but she responded quickly to corid. Wild Birds must have brought in a different strain.

The rats could be spreading it since the pullets will eat the rat poo.

Quote: Okay so, the one, or maybe two hens who do not seem quite so healthy just seem slightly slow in their movements compared to the other birds, it could be the third symptom in this list but I'm not sure. They do seem to eating and drinking fine. I will observe them more in the afternoon and get back to you.

On the rat issue, I think I have finally gotten rid of all the rats, because I am not catching them anymore. When there were rats however, I was not hearing any startled sounds.

sickbyc.gif
rats. I haven't had to deal with anything like that and I really don't know much about their diseases they can carry. I just have read a few times that rats can stress the chickens out to the point they stop laying, the rats can bite them, eat their food, and pass on diseases. I think I'd rather burn down my coop than deal with with a rat trap, yuck.

are there any other diseases that the rats could have spread that might have caused this sudden drop?
I am not sure that the problem is rat related. The symptoms you posted are in line with worms and or Coccidosis. Cocci kills them faster than worms which is why I recommend treating them for it first. After treating them for cocci(see my previous post for instructions) you can treat them for worms.

A vet can test the manure for both cocci and worms. Here they charge about $10.00. The test results will include treatment options and instructions too.

I hope they start laying more for you soon.

Back
Top Bottom