I really dont no what to do? Help me please!

Chicken Charlotte

Out of the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
QLD
Hello
I am making a chicken coop but the wood im using my dad said i cant use it!!!!!
somad.gif
hes so anoing and he says we dont even need it he does not no a thing about chooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway I dont no what to do cause I have only some old old wood to use and the nails I have are not big enough for it and my dad wont let me buy any thing because as I said he said that I dont need it but I do!!!!!!!! im making it but I can do it I really can but I need some advise for this situation PLEASE:( im so sad right now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...no replies?!

Well I'm 44 and I always like to find unique ways to recyle stuff into the things I make myself. You are the same age as my son and I know he has quite the imagination for things. So my suggestion is use that young imagination of yours and try to use recycled materials to build a coup. The first thing that comes to mind for materials is pallets. Around me they are always available for FREE. Free is good right??? Look at the coups design pages here on BYC and I bet you can find something to model your coup after. I also seem to recall a contest for cheap coups made with recycled materials. Find that post and use some of those ideas. Craigslist.com is a great way to find free stuff to use for your coup. You might even be able to get a free dog house or shed to use as a coup. Now I realize that if dad says you don't need it then it might be hard to get him to help you retrieve some of these materials. I am a dad so let me tell you....TREAD LIGHTLY! You will not tell your dad to do this, just remember that. If my son tried to tell me to do something I would not have any of that! However, if you think about it ahead of time and come up (maybe even write down so you don't forget you anything) valid reasons for needing a coup that may appeal to his more reasonable side. Here is a good point for you to use, say to him "Dad, anything worth doing, is worth doing right". This may have even been something you have heard him say to you before? How about the life lessons learned by raising chickens? If you truly do this yourself it should teach you more about taking on responsibility. These are the lessons us DADs want our kids to learn. Show him the value and it will make things easier. I built our coup with my kids, it was fun. They were the ones to paint it....all by there self, I was very proud of them. Maybe your dad would enjoy a small project that you both could work on together. Take some time to plan what you would do, draw a picture, basically put some time into it. If you do this he may see that you are serious and it's not going to be another one of those crazy ideas that becomes a pain in HIS butt. How does mom feel about this?

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Ah! Now I see why there are no replies. I thought the date you joined BYC was the date you posted this! I am in Germany on Business and it's a 6 hour time change.....maybe I better get a little more sleep!

Guten Tag!

You can use any kind of wood you choose to but it is best to use 2x4's. If the wood is not treated lumber you will have to paint it after you have it built so it will last. I use screws instead of nails so it will not come apart. Good luck to you! Don't be too hard on your dad he is only trying to help you.

You should do what your dad says, cause he's the boss and the one in charge. He's responsible for you and the rest of the family. You should try and understand his viewpoint.
Maybe he thinks you will loose interest because you've done that in the past (I'm just guessing here I'm not trying to say you won't follow through with your promise).
Do you have any other pets? Maybe he thinks you have enough already.
Maybe he'll change his mind if you work hard at school and help out around the house to prove your responsible. Maybe you could negotiate an agreement with him. For example: You help him with one of his projects or chores if he will let you build a coop and get 3 chickens.
Good luck with your dilema, but remember all of the things you have and all of the things you can be thankful for before you judge your father.
big_smile.png

RB

X2...

ya dad might not know anything about chooks...and you my dear know nothing of parenting...

heck...I get anoid reading kids spouting off about their parents on the internet because they don't get their way...

My husband built our coup out of wood that came out of a 100 yr old house. It was being remodeled and he asked the owners if he could have the scrap. It turned out pretty good. The old thing he had to buy was 1 piece of plywood for the roof...otherwise it's made out of all recycled wood and metal roofing. Very cheap and very functional...and very green!!!

UGH! I hate being adult! But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ok kiddo, take a deep breath. Have you sat down with your dad and discussed any of this? Being ticked off and annoyed with your old man isn't going to get you anywhere. My Pop is 78 and trust me, Pop still rules his roost. Doesn't matter how old you get, your Pop is your Pop and you have to listen to what he says or deal with the consequences.

You need to do the "adult" thing. Sit down and talk. Discuss why he's not wanting this. Maybe he has good reasons. DISCUSS don't throw a hissy fit that will get you no where! If you don't get his approval now. Wait a week or 2 set him down and talk again. If you push it, you're gonna loose.

Back
Top Bottom