I really need help, I'm new to this and the goose egg is chirping, what do I do?

emilymc

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 1, 2013
I have tried to do so much searching online and I can't seem to find the answer, I had a Canadian goose nest somewhat near my backyard and I recently found it nearly destroyed and there was one surviving egg, It was not in the nest and I was very worried about it staying warm. The wildlife center is too full with orphaned baby animals and rescues as well from people not caring with killing and trapping. I created an incubator and I have done everything that I have read on how to properly take care of it, now the egg is chirping since last night, a little over 12 hours, I have increased the humidity to the proper number and reduced the temp a little like I read. But I can't find anywhere online if I should stop rotating the egg, if this means it's ready to hatch, or if it's simply just being vocal. Please someone help me, I really want this little baby to be OK.

I have tried to do so much searching online and I can't seem to find the answer, I had a Canadian goose nest somewhat near my backyard and I recently found it nearly destroyed and there was one surviving egg, It was not in the nest and I was very worried about it staying warm. The wildlife center is too full with orphaned baby animals and rescues as well from people not caring with killing and trapping. I created an incubator and I have done everything that I have read on how to properly take care of it, now the egg is chirping since last night, a little over 12 hours, I have increased the humidity to the proper number and reduced the temp a little like I read. But I can't find anywhere online if I should stop rotating the egg, if this means it's ready to hatch, or if it's simply just being vocal. Please someone help me, I really want this little baby to be OK.
I think if you candle and see that the gosling has internally pipped you should stop rotating but not 100%sure hopefully someone with more hatching experience will see this and answer. Good luck with this little one. this is a lot of valuable info so hopefully you'll find your answer here too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Last edited:
I can't see if he/she has pipped yet, the only time it it chirps seems to be when I play relaxing piano music by the box. I tried candling a couple of days ago and I think the chick is to big to see anything, thank you for the help anyway =)

I can't see if he/she has pipped yet, the only time it it chirps seems to be when I play relaxing piano music by the box. I tried candling a couple of days ago and I think the chick is to big to see anything, thank you for the help anyway =)
I have read when you candle you should be able to see the gosling s bill in the air cell look for the air cell

If he's chirping- he's internally pipped. He will hatch soon. STOP rotating the egg, up the humidity and leave the incubator closed. Soon he will pip the egg, making a small hole. He will then rest and finish absorbing the blood and yolk. This may take over a day. DO NOT TRY AND HELP TOO SOON. The gosling will know when he's ready. He will break a line around the top of the egg, "zipping" and push out when he's ready.

ok, any suggestions on what I should use to candle? Maybe I'm using the wrong kind of light

thank you so so much for your help! now I know not to worry and what to do. What should I do when he has hatched?

I just checked the egg and he/she has cracked the bottom of the egg instead of the top, should I put it the right way up to make it easier to get out? If I leave it the way it is now it will be hard to push.

Back
Top Bottom