I really need some fast advice on this stuff!

When can I candle the eggs? I know one of them feels very different from the others so I want to know if I'm wasting my time turning it all the time.

Depending on the color of the shell you can begin to see veining anywhere between 3-10 days for white-medium brown eggs. Blues, greens, olives & chocolates may not show anything until much later if at all due to the darkness of the shell. Often all that can be seen in the darker eggs is the aircell enlarging & sometimes even that can't be seen. On average, around 7-10 days will give you the best indication of which eggs are developing well, which have quit early & which never started. I usually candle again just before lockdown (between day 16-18) & toss any obvious quitters at that point. If eggs are 10 days in with no obvious development (unless they are a darker color I mentioned) they can typically be tossed. Duck eggs can take longer to show development & I usually wait 2-3 weeks to toss any of them.

I candled the eggs and its not looking too good. If what I believe the eggs are supposed to look like is true, only one of them is doing good. One of them is yellow and spotty, one is slightly less yellow with a weird, veiny yoke that is darker yellow, one has a dark ring around the yoke, and then the last one seems to be fine.

Don't toss any yet. Candle again in about 4-5 days & see if there is any change. Sometimes the ones that look like bloodrings turn out to be fine & sometimes they just aren't as developed as the others. The 1 with the veiny yolk sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. The 1 that is just yellow sounds like it didn't start or wasn't fertile. Check again in a few days & see if there are any changes.

Oh my Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I candled the eggs and I could see a heart beat!!! One looks like a quitter and the others don't look like anything but I'm still excited about the one!!!

Oh my Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D I candled the eggs and I could see a heart beat!!! One looks like a quitter and the others don't look like anything but I'm still excited about the one!!!

This single experience, I would think, justifies all the expenses incurred ... gonna have to build myself incubating and candling equipment, just 'cause you went 'n told me that.

Hi Little Miss! Way to go!!! Its so AWESOME isnt it??? Your hooked now!!!

What have you been running your humidity at? And your turning by hand? When will day 18 lockdown be for them?

My daughter and her daddy made a coolerbator and WE LOVE IT!! so easy too... she had 100% hatch on her local eggs and thats when huricane Sandy took our electric for a week!! Well with 25+ in the brooder..... the bator is OVERFLOWING AGAIN!! LOL

I cant wait to see you hatch! Best Wishes!!!

Thanks cowcreekgeek! :D That really means a lot to me!
My humidity is normally about 35 and yes I've been turning them by hand three times a day. When the egg hatches, it's going to be the most spoiled little chick ever!
ya.gif
Day 18 is December 9 and they're supposed to hatch just in time for my sweet sixteen! I was so worried I was going to mess up since it's my first time but, even with just the one hatching, I'm so happy!

Thanks cowcreekgeek! :D That really means a lot to me!
My humidity is normally about 35 and yes I've been turning them by hand three times a day. When the egg hatches, it's going to be the most spoiled little chick ever!
ya.gif
Day 18 is December 9 and they're supposed to hatch just in time for my sweet sixteen! I was so worried I was going to mess up since it's my first time but, even with just the one hatching, I'm so happy!
awwww so happy for you!!! come over to our thread and hatch along with us!!! there is another young hatcher Sparky on with us too! just pop over and say hello!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs

Back
Top Bottom