I really need some input on possibly culling a chick

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
I feel bad considering this but the chick is just not growing. The others started off a little bit bigger, now they are huge and I am needing to consider separating this chick completely because of size difference. Nothing wrong with it other than not growing. Its active, cheeps like mad with the others, eats, drinks, no problems pooping. Actually the only one who did not get pasty butt. I keep trying to tell myself maybe one of the polishes laid an egg but I mean honestly the egg was not that small. It was smaller than the others but still not like a bird egg or anything. and the polishes have yet to sing the song. I would post pics but my camera is MIA.

It is 4 weeks old now and it has maybe doubled. The others are 4 and 5 times their size now. The other are HUGE. and then there is this one. How do I know this is failure to thrive and a lost cause? I don't want to wait till its in pain and dying but I don't want to cull too soon. So when is this cause lost? So frustrated and lost with this chick. The others are more than thriving. They are going to grow into huge beasts I swear and this poor little one still looks like a tiny baby. Its really right about the size my week old barred rocks were. Its that small.

I wish I could. Stupid camera is missing again. We hide it from the kids and then forget where we put it. Once the kids find it for us I will try to post pics.

Are they all the same breed?

I have a mix of chicks and a couple are considerably smaller than the others and the larger ones aren't picking on the smaller ones at all even though the size difference is very noticable. They are part of the flock just like the others. If, as you say, the chick is fine in every other way, then let it live. If you find it becoming sickly later on, then make the decision then, but for now just wait to see what happens.
smile.png

Last edited:
I guess i just worry. Everything I read says it will die. Its not really growing at all at this point. I feel desperate since we have gotten all attached. First chick we ever hatched. I am just fretting.

Since I have no camera
It is almost all black with white on the underside. It has black legs and feet but yellow tips on each toe. It hatched from a light brown small egg.

I have SLW's that I think are all male but my husband insists one is female. I have a brown leghorn, feyuma ( unsure of spelling), polish, barred rocks( we think all male but one had a prolapsed vent and crows so who the heck knows), BO's, Australops, and production reds.

The dad is definitly our maran roo. Little guy or gal has feathered feet and legs.

I'll try to give you my opinion, by offering a few pics.

This is Thor, at a few weeks old:

4810_thor223.jpg

Compared to other chicks of the same hatch:

4810_view.jpg

This is Thor, full-grown:

4810_endmarch_003.jpg

Your chick is eating, drinking, and pooping fine? I see no reason to cull it.

My daughter bought some chicks at the local feed store and her daughter picked this little red one. For the longest time they thought she was a Bantam. Today she is a normal size Speckled Sussex hen with so much personality she is a real delight! Your chicks sounds just fine!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom