I really need your honest advice!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickensducks&agoose, Nov 12, 2010.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got neighbors, who have been pretty good so far. they've got dogs, and my dog spends a LOT of time at their house, playing with their 4 dogs. My dog is good, and doesn't cause trouble, and they are willing to keep her overnight if I have to be gone. Anytime I have to be gone, for 1 day or 2 weeks, and I pay them in baked goods and eggs. They try to be friendly, and I try to not let them drive me nuts (they wander into the yard often, without warning, wondering if we've got permits to build the coop, etc.). Their dogs are supposed to always be kept in, because they wander and don't have road sense, or sense enough to go back home. well, i came home yesterday, kind of late, and as I was rounding up the birds, i noticed some white feathers on the ground in the backyard. I'd had the chickens locked in all day yesterday ( I let them out when I was rounding up the waterfowl) so I knew the feathers had to be from one of my ducks or geese (2 white ducks, 3 white geese, and 8 nonwhite ducks)... when I went inside, there was a message on the machine, saying that their dogs had gotten out, and they'd heard nasty, nasty barking up on my land... but their dogs were back in, and would I please call them. so I did, and I said that yes, I had noticed feathers, but all my birds were accounted for, none were missing, and I hadn't noticed anything really wrong with anybody... but that it was dark, and I'd look tomorrow (today). SO, today, i noticed that my chinese gander has a bloody spot (like a quarter) on his wing, and the feathers there are sticking up straight, and it really looks like they are jammed into the wing, in a big bloody area... like you'd jam a pencil into a sofa or something. not a good look... (do i need to pull those feathers?) so I called the neighbor, and basically said "Hey, it's your neighbor, i just discovered where those feathers came from. one of my geese has been bitten, and I think he'll be okay, but give me a call".... but now I don't know what to do. I want to make sure they understand how serious this is, that their dog has attacked my bird... and honestly, if i catch him doing it again, i might SSS.... but i don't want to strain relations, by saying "If your dog comes up here and attacks my birds, I'm going to shoot it"... though i doubt I'd be able to shoot it without them noticing immediately... so I want this to never, ever happen again.... yet, I am reliant on their kindness in regards to MY dog, and I do free-range my birds... what do you think? honesty is appreciated.

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

If you free range knowing their dogs are loose then you're pretty much putting your birds' lives in the dogs' paws. Not the neighbor's fault their dogs chase any more than it's your birds fault that it runs... it's their job to keep their dog safe... ala from owner's who will shoot it, roads,etc. and it's your job to keep your birds safe.

Since the dogs are used to having free rein, yours and theirs, you can't expect them to change their behavior unless fences are put up. If you aren't willing to do that, and/or stop freeranging, then you'll have to accept the losses. Sucks, but that's the only fair way to handle it... just my opinion... and from one who hasn't been in the situation so who knows if I'd feel the same if I was.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Their dogs Don't free-range. they have a fence, but apparently it got accidentally left open yesterday, and the dogs escaped... so usually their dogs can't come up, and so i don't usually worry...

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh.. you've a sticky situation there, lady...
    Do they usually keep their dogs in their yard? Was this some freak accident that they got out?
    If so..then i'd NOT make problems with them...

But, I WOULD say.. "yeah.. they got one my geese... he survived this time. But he looks pretty sore right now... [​IMG].."
    Play it up a bit.. make them feel bad for the goose..
    That SHOULD give them a hint that its SERIOUS if their dogs keep getting out...

5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    If your dog never wandered onto their property then I would say, yes, you have the right to ask them to keep their dogs home and to SSS.

However.

Since it is apparently neighborhood policy to let dogs roam, and yet they do try to keep theirs penned up due to their "non road sense", and your birds do free range, if their dogs accidentally get out and hurt or kill your birds...well...I guess you have to decide if your birds or your dog's apparent welcome at their home is more important. You could solve the problem in a non-confrontational way by fencing in most of your property for your birds, but I know that might not be financially feasible.

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X 2...i have to agree. If the dogs are usually in the yard w/o trouble then...

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:I'm sure they'd feel bad to know that their dog hurt one of your birds. Of course, the fact that your dog goes into their yard doesn't give you a leg to stand on either.

[​IMG] I can see I'm not fast enough....X3!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Since this is the first time it's happened, I'd just chance it that it won't happen again...at least for a loonggg time. As the others said, I would play it up about the chunk being tore out of your bird's wing. Those folks have saved you quite a bit of money in dog care (kennels/pet sitters are $$$). If it happens again, I'd put up fencing of my own. Depending on how well you guys get along, I might have them bring their dogs over on long leashes with your birds out, and hose them or cause a racket each time the dogs go for the birds... [​IMG] That might give them an aversion to your birds...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  9. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

no bird is worth a neighbor war. No dog is either...if you SSS their dog they can SSS your dog and so on and so on-I would take the high road..my 2 cents.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  10. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I would never even threated to shoot. If I had to do this it would be SSSS Shut up shoot, shovel and then shut up some more. I prefer the thought never crosses their minds. Yes I am evil but its ok I can live with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by