I really want to save some chickens or ducks....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheDuckCrew, Mar 29, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    even though my parents would never let me, i just wish i could go and buy some chickens or ducks from a meat farm or anywhere else where they wouldn't get a full and happy life. i was looking at a thread about cornish crosses and it just broke my heart. these girls had gotten a real life and were totally happy, i want to make a bird's life like that! i'm sorry there's really nothing anybody could do, but i just had to say something.

2. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    your intentions are noble...

Cornish Crosses typically don't live very long. They've been bred to hit a goal weight in a quick length of time. So even if you don't butcher them in the correct time frame, they are likely to go feet up from a heart attack...

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:yeah i know. but on the thread i was reading, it was saying they were able to keep them from having a heart attack with asprin and would give them limited amounts of food so they don't overeat. not starving them, but giving them what they should be eating.

4. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could always try a local egg farm. They get rid of (ship off to become dog food) battery hens when their production drops off. But I'm betting they still lay plenty for a normal family, and you'd get bonus karma points. I was reading a thread about this not to long ago...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by